Building a 103 legal in Florida?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Scarecrow56

Is anyone building a true ultralite anywhere near Palm Bay florida? X59 Valkaria? I would love to come by and see what youre doing. Maybe even help some. Thanks

Aerowerx

Oh.

When I saw your subject, I thought you were worried that a SWAT team would break down your door at 2AM if you tried to build an ultralight in Florida.;)

Isn't English a fun language?

lr27

Aerowerx:

Where are you going to fly to on 5 gallons from Florida?

Derswede

WHAT did you say was in those bottles and cans???? DOPE?? (speaking into lapel mike) "Chief, get the DEA here ASAP, found another druggie type! Got some weird stuff in here too, claims it to be an airplane!
Better send out teh boys with the butterfly nets, too.

(This in honor of my brother, who got hauled to the principal's office in High School when he answered the question "What did you do this past weekend?" with "Oh, we were shooting dope." The principal, who was a pilot, just about died laughing at the incident, but still called my father to report that my brother was talking about using drugs in school. Poor boy got beat!

lr27

Last time I heard, there weren't any international borders between those entities and Florida.

Aerowerx

Last time I heard, there weren't any international borders between those entities and Florida.
But you did not specify that you wanted to go to another country, or fly anywhere illegal.

The subject of this thread implied that it was illegal to build a part 103 ultralight in Florida, not to use it in some illegal manner.

I don't know the range of most part 103 ultralights, but Cuba is 90 miles and the closest Bahama island is only 50 miles from Florida, if that would satisfy you.

lr27

I figured the SWAT team wouldn't show up unless it was drugs, violence, or donuts. After having read about some of the things that have happened to boaters, I associate Florida with overly zealous actions ostensibly justified by the "drug war".

Scarecrow56

I guess not. To answer one question, its my understanding that an ultralight is for the joy of flying so where are you going to fly to? Straight up and around the patch. Out over the beach, over the golf course which is right next door. Over the jungle which is everywhere and maybe down to Vero Beach airport which is about 20 miles away, maybe less. Ultralight isn't about the destination, its about the journey. Thanks for all your help

Tiger Tim

Seems to me like there’s a good amount of ultralight flying going on all over Florida so there must be a decent amount of building. Try and find your nearest UL airfield and ask around out there in person since this forum represents a tiny percentage of actual builders.

Group Builder