• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bourke engine viability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass256

Supporting Member
If you're not familiar with this type of engine, here's an article and here's everything else you could want to know.
What are your guys thoughts on this type of engine?

I think the idea of using detonation for power is genius, and if the claimed performance specs are anywhere near true (weighed 38lbs, 30cu in. making 76hp at 10k rpm, burns 1gal/hr at 6500rpm ) it could be revolutionary not only for aviation, but the motor industry as a whole.

Would it be worth it to pursue designing a one-off of this design? As far as I can tell, the problem everyone's run into with the engine is fuel delivery. A standard carb just doesn't work, and the original #001 engine ran with a constant velocity carb. I think this would be a great candidate for FADEC, though I'm not confident I could pull that off myself. It supposedly runs very lean, giving it great efficiency. Burning less gas would be a major benefit in my plane, since I can only hold 10 gal.

If I were to pursue making one for my plane, do you guys have any suggestions for parts manufacturers/mechanical engineers that could help?

Back