Biplanes with retractable undercarriage?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

I wonder what it was like to jettison the wing?
OTOH, I don't think they ever worked up the guts to drop the upper wing on the Hurricane. From what I've read, the Hillson Bi-Mono proof of concept was quite a ride though, with the monoplane stall speed being higher than the biplane's maximum speed.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The Lionheart is a "full size" recreation of the Staggerwing, IIRC. At any rate, it has a 985 on the nose, so there's not too much "mini" about it.
The Lionheart is an awesome plane, but its a 6 passenger plane with a Wasp Jr so not so 'mini' ;)
View attachment 46028

With a useful load, max gross, and interior cabin dimensions comparable to a de Havilland Beaver, we are actually larger than a Beech Staggerwing...noting mini about her. ;)
OUCH.... UNCLE, UNCLE!!! I GIVE, I GIVE! :gig:

I never meant to give this as a size comparison; it's just typical to think of take-off's of big planes as their 'mini' counterparts. You have to admit though that with its more slender lines, the Lionheart does not look as 'bulky' as the Beech Staggerwing -- and NO, I am not saying the Beech looks bulky (lest I end up in the crosshairs again). ;)

Peter Anson

There was a very neat little Russian biplane fighter from the late 1930s, the Polikarpov I-153, that had retractable gear. I think there might be a flying one in New Zealand as I have seen a video of one at the Wanaka air show. It appeared to be quite fast and very maneuverable. There are plenty of photos on the net plus this video on youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BLVI2yBRX8
Peter Anson

Smutny

These two pics just popped up on the Pitts Facebook page and in the Biplane Forum. A couple of slightly modified Pitts...

pitts1.jpg

pitts2.jpg