Biplanes with retractable undercarriage?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Riggerrob

How many biplanes were built with retractable undercarriage?

I can picture a couple of amphibians: Loening Air Yacht and Grumman Duck and Petrel ultra-light. Oh! That's 3!
The British Royal Navy flew lots of Walrus amphibious biplane flying boats and a few Sea Otters during World War 2.

Grumman built a few biplane fighters during the late 1930s ...
Also during the late 1930s, Beechcraft built Staggerwing executive aircraft.

But I have only heard of a single Pitts Special aero to with retractable wheels.

Can you think of any other biplanes with retractable wheels?

Tiger Tim

A couple others that spring to mind are the Polikarpov I-153 and Gregor FDB as far as singles go. The Curtiss Condor and some late variant or offshoot of the de Havilland Dragonfly had retracts too. A few different Sikorsky flying boats also meet the criteria.

Himat

One more amphibian, the Super Petrel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midniteoyl

One more amphibian, the Super Petrel.
[video=youtube;QFoFde23WpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QFoFde23WpE[/video]
Doing donuts in a plane, nice :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Riggerrob

Tiger Tim mentioned the Gregor FDB-1 which I've always thought was pretty darn cool looking:

View attachment 45733
The Grumman influence is obvious.

Canadian Car and Foundry built a few biplanes (under license) from Grumman before they built the sole Gregor Fighter prototype.
that single, diagonal strut was an effort to reduce drag. Since it replaced at least 4 wires (double lift wires and double landing wires) it reduced "bracing" drag to 25 percent.

Test pilots complained that the Gregor Fighter had dismal visibility during landing.
Biplanes were rapidly approaching obsolescence by the late 1930s. At the start of WW2, the few Grumman Goblins were pressed into patrolling the approaches to Halifax Harbour but were soon replaced by some of the hundreds of monoplane Hurricanes built by CCF.

Tiger Tim

Biplanes were rapidly approaching obsolescence by the late 1930s... replaced by some of the hundreds of monoplane Hurricanes built by CCF.
Yeah, I think we can all agree the Hurricane was a better choice.

Speaking of Hurricanes, we can even tie that back in to the original question: