Automotive Engine Permission

Discussion in 'General Auto Conversion Discussion' started by Mohanakannan, Oct 6, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 9, 2019 at 10:28 PM #41

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

Is "up" supposed to be hp? If so then those two numbers don't work at 3000 rpm.

2. Oct 9, 2019 at 11:44 PM #42

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Cute! A baby Cobra

3. Oct 10, 2019 at 12:13 AM #43

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

4. Oct 10, 2019 at 5:39 AM #44

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yes.

On a presumtion the OP is looking at 1ZZ engines on Alibaba as they are made in China next door to India, then a 2.0 Mazda 'L' series would be the prefered choice.

The bulletproof Mazda 'L', 2.0 and 2.3, the same engine as the Ford Focus/Mondeo 'Duratech' (joint venture between them), are the lightest in their class and I'm surprised not looked at more often for conversion.

Next step up, and back to Toyota, is their 2.4 2AZ (common Camry engine) made in China.

The BMW 1.6 turbo, the engine in the Mini, is being made in China now also.

mullacharjak likes this.
  5. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:39 PM #45

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Thanks for the detailed information, I'll get some advise from a company lawyer in my country before using the name of the engine maker. But I guess for now I can use it on the prototype and avoid mentioning that it has a specific engine on it, possibly remove the identity if any on the engine to avoid potential issues.

6. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:42 PM #46

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

I remember some one advised me to use an engine that is more than 15 years old. Legally I may not get into trouble if I go with a 15 year old engine and advertise that it has such a engine on it.

7. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:46 PM #47

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Looks awsome, Is the plans available for sale?

8. Oct 10, 2019 at 8:51 PM #48

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Good one, Thanks for the advise. I am looking for a naturally aspirated engine because I need a stable power curve, At high revs the turbo kicks in at some point and the power curve will no longer be linear, and I am also looking for a larger displacement engine for 130hp hoping that the stress and BMEP will be low enough for a better reliability.

9. Oct 10, 2019 at 9:01 PM #49

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Thanks for your advise, I am actually thinking of using 2.4 2AZ if the weight difference is not much with 1ZZ. I don't get the weight values properly for these engines, I also see that the 1.8 corollas that came after 2012 are powered by 2ZR engines which weighs only 97kg compared to 1ZZ which weighs around 120kg and have better power values. I want naturally aspirated engine with no valve lifters or variable valve and that's why I prefered 1ZZ, Just for simplicity .

10. Oct 11, 2019 at 3:39 AM #50

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

1ZZ most certainly do NOT weigh 120 kgs.

You are looking at a fully dressed engine weight for car installation that includes air conditioning and power steering pumps, and flywheel with clutch.

I did have the 1ZZ weight some years back, I do know for fact the the long bare engine is 5 kgs heavier than a Suzuki G13BB. Based on that, you might get a weight of under 90kgs with PSRU.

You are wrong about the modern power curve of a modern turbo, most of whom get high boost levels from just 2000 rpm onwards, Google dyno graphs of cars with which ever engine you consider..

mullacharjak likes this.
  11. Oct 11, 2019 at 5:13 AM #51

tcrbaker

tcrbaker

tcrbaker

The Dragon 1.5l is used normally asperated in some cars in India. Tim

12. Oct 11, 2019 at 7:02 AM #52

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

Mohanakannan

T
    Please check this website. This is where I got the weight values, but I was already in the opinion that this figure may not be real because I have weighed some 1.5L engines in the past none of them exededed 90Kg. And thanks for your advise on modern turbo I shall check them out.
    http://mywikimotors.com/toyota-1zz/

13. Oct 11, 2019 at 6:43 PM #53

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

First you need to consider what weight the airplane can tolerate. Then you need to investigate what engines are commonly available or at least reasonably available in India. One of the simplest proven combinations is a V6 Chevy. It might be that a Rover engine could meet your needs. Any Corvairs or Subarus ? Lots of info on them....but are they available to you?

The thing that is always glossed over when talking about piston speed is the fact that there are a lot of other components that get higher stresses when operating at elevated rpms. Its not JUST piston speed that needs to be considered. All things considered, probably the best choice is a Corvair stroker engine. Low rpms, no redrive, and lighter weight. Question is whether you can aquire one to build or just buy one already built and have it shipped. Everything is documented in build manuals.

14. Oct 12, 2019 at 5:11 AM #54

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I believe that the ZR is 2kg lighter than the ZZ. The ZZ has VVT, though since it's a hydraulic sprocket, it clould be fairly easily removed and replaced with a solid sprocket. The ZR is slightly shorter stroke, I think it has dual VVT, so two sprockets to remove. Do not underestimate the difficulty of a getting a PSRU to work reliably. It could be worth looking at direct drive, maybe a Rover V8? They are very light for their capacity.

15. Oct 12, 2019 at 6:18 AM #55

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I don't understand the constant promotion in the forum to remove VVT? They give little trouble if ever, the failure mode won't affect what you are doing other than idle badly and maybe lose 5 to 10 hp, not a game changer or danger while you are flying, and they produce the best, smoothest hp at the rpm you select. Leave sleeping dogs lie.

Rover 3.5 running form, no starter, is 150kgs, I have personally weighed them. I believe the 3.9 are 160.

16. Oct 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM #56

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Bad experience with VVC...
    It also makes programming an aftermarket ECU a lot trickier.

cheapracer likes this.