Automotive Engine Permission

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mohanakannan

Hello Every one

I just want to use a Toyota engine for my home bilt aircraft. Should I get permission from the car manufacturer to use it? Will there be any issue with technology rights sort of things assocoated with it?

Thanks in advance

Mohanakannan

Hello Every one

I just want to use a Toyota engine for my home bilt aircraft. Should I get permission from the car manufacturer to use it? Will there be any issue with technology rights sort of things assocoated with it?

Thanks in advance

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
You own the engine, you can do anything you want with it.. but don't expect and cooperation or support. Now if you go into business and advertise "Toyota aircraft engines", their lawyers may have something to say.

Wanttaja

Depends on the laws of your own country. In the U.S., There are no such limitations.

Ron Wanttaja

gtae07

I would not buy it directly from them if I could avoid it, and certainly wouldn’t tell whoever I bought it from what I planned to do with it. If pressed for an application, I’ve heard “an off-road vehicle” works well.

At least in the US they can’t stop you from using it in an airplane, but they also aren’t required to sell one to you if they know what you’re going to do (or really, at all).

pfarber

Don't ask and you'll probably be fine for a one off. Ask, they may set their lawyers on you.
Toyota has no say in what you use a product you legally bought for.

And someone posted that you couldn't advertise that you product had a Toyota engine in it... stating a fact (this airplane has an engine made by Toyota) is not actionable. Implying that 'Toyota designed' or 'Toyota approved' or some such would be open to trademark issues.

But when I put a chevy engine in my plane I can advertise that it, in fact has, a chevy engine.

Mohanakannan

Thanks for your replies, I could see that Viking aero engines uses Honda engines and Aeromomentum uses Suzuki engines. Factory built Helicopters such as AK-1uses Subaru engines. And I'm wondering how could these guys obtain permission to use the names of automotive giants. I'm actually planning to display my prototype on an expo and this is why I'm worried if I can use this engine without getting into trouble.

pictsidhe

I think that Aeromomentum makes a point of not saying 'Suzuki' at all. Is this for a one off, or do you hope to go into production? Will you want to use new engines if in production? It may be best to get your plane working well before approaching Toyota with a fait accompli.
The 1ZZ is a very good engine, but has a long stroke. To get good economy, you should keep revs lowish, probably no more that 4000. You can save sone weight by replacing the VVT sprocket with a plain one. An aircraft does not need VVT.

Turd Ferguson

Thanks for your replies, I could see that Viking aero engines uses Honda engines and Aeromomentum uses Suzuki engines. Factory built Helicopters such as AK-1uses Subaru engines. And I'm wondering how could these guys obtain permission to use the names of automotive giants.
The companies you mention do not get any kind of permission to use those engines in aeronautical products.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Thanks for your replies, I could see that Viking aero engines uses Honda engines and Aeromomentum uses Suzuki engines. Factory built Helicopters such as AK-1uses Subaru engines. And I'm wondering how could these guys obtain permission to use the names of automotive giants. I'm actually planning to display my prototype on an expo and this is why I'm worried if I can use this engine without getting into trouble.
I would give it a new name, such as a “MM-1”, as in “Mohanakannan Motors -1.”

BJC

D Hillberg

I got three CYA letters from manufactures that didn't want their products used in my helicopter

#1 AiResearch then Signal Aircraft for the GTCP 36-55-c
#2 Robinson for the gearboxes and pieces
#3 Hiser Helicopters assuring that I didn't shag his parts supply so Robinson didn't screw with his flight School

Those were fun times for all

Attachments

D Hillberg

Is that a Piasecki H-21(?) in that lineup?
yep - Dick Lonagan was letting it stay at Corona for a while - My brother wanted to start a museum and had a deal with the Navy for a HOK & a flyable H-2c but he needed an endorsement from another museum and the Ramona guys didn't hold up their end of the deal [they wanted it all] so the Navy walked. But the Nave did give him every manual for every model of Kaman H-2

Mohanakannan

I got three CYA letters from manufactures that didn't want their products used in my helicopter

#1 AiResearch then Signal Aircraft for the GTCP 36-55-c
#2 Robinson for the gearboxes and pieces
#3 Hiser Helicopters assuring that I didn't shag his parts supply so Robinson didn't screw with his flight School

Those were fun times for all
Did you develop a turbine helicopter of your own design?