Antenna placement and interference

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...My advice would be to go ahead and build the antenna into the fin and give it a try; but, have a plan for an alternate more conventional antenna installation if it doesn't work. You can probably get close enough on the antenna tuning by making a mockup of the fin using a block of foam similar in shape and size to the fin. The mockup won't need to be carefully airfoil shaped, as long as it is approximately the same size it will be OK. Once you've got the antenna tuned on the mockup you can build one of the same dimensions into the real fin.
Lacking any of the more sophisticated equipment (and the knowledge to use it) mentioned earlier in your post, I'll have to give the mockup a try. As this is a glider, an external antenna is simply not an option due to drag considerations. Thank you very much for the advice.

autoreply

Lacking any of the more sophisticated equipment (and the knowledge to use it) mentioned earlier in your post, I'll have to give the mockup a try. As this is a glider, an external antenna is simply not an option due to drag considerations. Thank you very much for the advice.
Yes, it might be. Why not make a small cut in the foam for the LE and glass over it?

djschwartz

Topaz, this may be a dumb question, something you've already done. If so, my apologies. Have you gotten in touch with anyone in the SSA (Soaring Society of America) to see what's working well for them? Given that almost all gliders today are composite and are very high performance I would think someone there would have some practical experience with what works in those situations.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Topaz, this may be a dumb question, something you've already done. If so, my apologies. Have you gotten in touch with anyone in the SSA (Soaring Society of America) to see what's working well for them? Given that almost all gliders today are composite and are very high performance I would think someone there would have some practical experience with what works in those situations.
Not a dumb question at all. The downside is that the SSA is composed of, diirected towards, and populated by, pilots rather than aircraft designers. Rather like the AOPA is for powered aircraft. The other half of the equation is that modern sailplanes are almost exclusively sandwich construction (and carbon, at that) rather than full-depth core. The latter is far from optimum for sailplanes and motorgliders, but has the virtues of being relatively quick, cheap, and easy for a homebuilder such as myself. So the knowledgebase for full-depth foam/glass gliders is relatively small.

Still, a review of existing practice, even if it's not exactly the same, is never a bad idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Group Builder