• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aluminum Ribs, Spars and Skins. Some "General" Rule questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hi Metal bangers;

I have read as much as I can find on this and other sites about sheet metal homebuilt parts. I want to ask if there are general rules or guidelines about various alloys. To be honest, given the apparent "interchangeability" of one alloy over the other, it seems a bit confusing for someone who wants to create homebuilt parts. I suspect that these 2 alloys are not as strictly interchangeable as it may appear to a casual observer.

I've found that some homebuilts use 6061-T6 for wing ribs, while some use 2024-T3. I want to know, assuming that I've familiarized myself with the basic characteristics of each metal, is one more widely used for wing ribs over the other alloy?

Same question for spar shear webs. 2024-T3 or 6061-T6?

Same question for wing and fuselage skins. 2024-T3 or 6061-T6.

What would really help, is some background on why each builder/designer favours, for example, 2024-T3 ribs, as opposed to 6061-T6. You might find one hammer-forms more easily over an MDF rib form. Or maybe you feel that 6061-T6 is going to resist corrosion more, or something along those lines.

So, what makes one alloy a preferred choice over another for ribs, spar shear webs and skins.

Thanks, Tom.

Back