• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Al Backstrom articles and projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Bill Higdon mentioned in another thread that the late Al Backstrom had suggested putting a Turner T-40-style canopy on an Evans VP-1 Volksplane. For anyone that doesn't know, Backstrom was very active in homebuilt sailplane and airplane circles from the 1950s until at least the 1980s and continued to give presentations and attend workshops into the 2000s. He is best known for his EBP-1 Flying Plank tailless sailplane and was widely known and respected in the flying wing community. He was also a very prolific model aircraft designer and builder and a quick Google search will turn up many of his model plans. I went back to find the article that I vaguely remembered from old issues of Sport Aviation but since it was actually a series of articles, I thought I'd go ahead and post them all here for future reference.

Attachments

• Backstrom Performance 1 - Nov 1974 Sport Aviation.pdf
    649.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Backstrom Performance 2 - Dec 1974 Sport Aviation.pdf
    838.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Backstrom Performance 3 - Jan 1975 Sport Aviation.pdf
    538.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Backstrom Performance 4 - Feb 1975 Sport Aviation.pdf
    485.5 KB · Views: 0
Back