Quantcast

Aircraft Design Using .028" Tube?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

I inventoried some 4130 tube that was donated to the chapter by the family of a deceased club member. There are 20 pieces total. It is all 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8" OD and it is all .028" wall thickness. It seems a little unusual since .035" seems to be standard. I know some designs use a few .028" pieces mostly toward the tail. Is there any aircraft design that would use that much .028" wall thickness tubing?

Victor Bravo

I believe the Raceair Skylite (designed byEd Fisher) uses it, you can ask our HBA member addicted2climbing about that, he is the owner of the design rights to this aircraft. He can supply a set of plans and will be offering certain components soon.

TFF

A proper J3 has some mixed in, as does the tailwind.
It can dent pretty easy. Depending on the size .035 is cheaper as it’s more standard and weight penalty is not much on the smaller sizes. I have heard people going crazy on weight and building special light aircraft. The bigger diameters are not usually that thin for regular structure.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
+ a little harder to weld. Have to do good job of controlling your heat.

Marc W

So nobody knows of any designs that use a lot of .028" wall tube. I can't find anything either. There is 400' here. Ought to be about enough to make a fuselage. The 7/8"x.028 doesn't seem to be available anymore. None at ASS, Airparts or Wicks and Google turns up nothing.

Guess I will have to get creative to use it.