• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft design for the SIMPLE-MINDED!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsky

I scanned the web and youtube and I've noticed that a lot of the people that design and build their own 103 ULs are admittedly "not engineers". They just eyeball it, make it look like the other airplanes they see in general proportions, and employ rules of thumb,etc... Sit down, make a spec list, draw it out, buy some stuff, put it together. Sorta like you don't need and advanced math skill to build a car in your garage from the wheels up. You just do it and figure it out as you go. They seem to just fine overall and make some nice planes. So is there a lot of overkill going on here?

For example, I am designing a flying thing right now. From the beginning, I ASSUMED that the center of lift of the plane would be 25 percent of the wing width in from the leading edge. Computing the CG from various ways of loading, i get a cg that is between 16% to 25% from the leading edge. Seems good to me. Tail surfaces, just make them about the same size i see on other similar planes. In the end, the plane is gonna safely fly but may not be optimal. It is an UL after all.

I

Back