Advice for new attendees/drivers to Osh

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

geosnooker2000

We will be attending for our first time this year. I feel pretty confident about the trip, other than how to best approach for entrance into Scholler campgrounds.
It appears that we are supposed to enter off Poberezny Rd. ? Any advice on that, and any other things would greatly be appreciated
George

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I don't recall the highway names at all, but I had never been to Wisconsin before, let alone Osh. First time driving in the USA, actually. Drove up from the south, and it was simple. Today I'd just plug in the EAA museum or something into the GPS and once you get close you'll see the signage.
There's also illustrated maps and guides online.

TFF

If you are going up I55 to St Louis, by the time you get there, you shouldn’t get on the interstate that parallels the airport. Once you get up in Wisconsin, you will be off the interstate on state highways. You will cross over and take the service road. It’s mostly obvious. It’s like parking at the fair. If you screw up, and get on the interstate, just get off the next exit. To sign in at the campground, there is a main entrance to the campground with lots of lanes. There is a second entrance, but I don’t know if you can check in there. Getting in is easy, finding a spot to camp can get creative. You will understand what a lot of people camping in one place is like. The shower trailers are really nice if you are close to one, but the main showers are kind of a required right of passage.

Learn to ride the trams and busses. Lots of walking. My record was 30 miles in one day. 15 is common. Sometimes you just have to hoof it to get to something.

Bring Lots of water; you can’t carry enough.

If you go to the seaplane base, you have to pay to get back with cash. It’s pretty cool place. Like a little park. More of a place to chill.

Go to the museum. Just make sure there isn’t some awards program closing it early.

Get a bratwurst. Not really that special, but it’s a tradition.

If you have some bikes and a chain to lock them, getting around the campground is easier and getting to the gate to the show. Make sure you know where you park them, because there will be about a thousand in the bike parking lot.

If it has rained, be careful where you drive in the campground.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We will be attending for our first time this year. I feel pretty confident about the trip, other than how to best approach for entrance into Scholler campgrounds.
It appears that we are supposed to enter off Poberezny Rd. ? Any advice on that, and any other things would greatly be appreciated
George
You can enter Scholler from WI-44 (just north of Scholler) or or county road N (just south), it doesn't matter. Poberezny will be the way to enter Scholler, at Neunteufel. Follow the signs and you'll be fine. At Neunteufel just east of Poberezny, there is a shack where you "sign in." Please come for coffee at Homebuilders Headquarters (8am-ish); we'll be happy to meet you and chat.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
1) Bring a good quality large knapsack or day pack. Bring shoes and socks that you can walk miles and miles, all f!()#*$g day in.

2) Stop at the nearest Wal-Mart (there's a big one in town) before you go to the airport every day, and get non-melting granola bars, jerky, nuts, bottled water, high-SPF Sun Screen, and 100% DEET mosquito spray. I did not say 99% DEET either. You will thank me for this.

3) If you can avoid eating the $18 bratwurst and burgers and sodas and fried ostrich turds and whatever on the airport, you will save enough money to purchase your choice of restored warbird and fly it home. (You will also have saved enough time on line at the food stands to have seen one more entire forum presentation, or visit something worthwhile you would have missed)

4) Bring ear plugs. Bring sore throat drops. During the 900 decibel airshow, conversations about really important homebuilt airplane stuff (when can I expect delivery of my Raptor kit, Peter?) are very difficult and tiring.

5) Go to the antique and type club parking area between the red barn and the ultralight area, find an old Taylorcraft with an inflatable green alien in the cockpit, and find Suzy K. the owner of the T-craft. Tell her you're a friend of Bill from the EZ Flap company in CA, and Bill says for her to give YOU the beer she would have provided for him. Make sure you are able to stagger back to your campground in the dark with a slightly above average blood-alcohol content.

6) When you decide to finally give in and go get one of the bratwursts, and you realize you need to fill out a credit application, it's OK to scream " OH MY !(#*$# GOD that a**-ho*e on the internet was right, they're trying to f!($*$ kill me!"

geosnooker2000

1) Bring a good quality large knapsack or day pack. Bring shoes and socks that you can walk miles and miles, all f!()#*$g day in.

2) Stop at the nearest Wal-Mart (there's a big one in town) before you go to the airport every day, and get non-melting granola bars, jerky, nuts, bottled water, high-SPF Sun Screen, and 100% DEET mosquito spray. I did not say 99% DEET either. You will thank me for this.

3) If you can avoid eating the $18 bratwurst and burgers and sodas and fried ostrich turds and whatever on the airport, you will save enough money to purchase your choice of restored warbird and fly it home. (You will also have saved enough time on line at the food stands to have seen one more entire forum presentation, or visit something worthwhile you would have missed)

4) Bring ear plugs. Bring sore throat drops. During the 900 decibel airshow, conversations about really important homebuilt airplane stuff (when can I expect delivery of my Raptor kit, Peter?) are very difficult and tiring.

5) Go to the antique and type club parking area between the red barn and the ultralight area, find an old Taylorcraft with an inflatable green alien in the cockpit, and find Suzy K. the owner of the T-craft. Tell her you're a friend of Bill from the EZ Flap company in CA, and Bill says for her to give YOU the beer she would have provided for him. Make sure you are able to stagger back to your campground in the dark with a slightly above average blood-alcohol content.

6) When you decide to finally give in and go get one of the bratwursts, and you realize you need to fill out a credit application, it's OK to scream " OH MY !(#*$# GOD that a**-ho*e on the internet was right, they're trying to f!($*$ kill me!"
I think I'm gonna print this list and carry it around with me while I'm there, hahaha...

But on #2, "before you go to the airport every day" once we get settled into our camp site, I am *NOT* driving anywhere until Sunday when it's time to leave for home.

TFF

But you got to get one brat, no one will believe you went if you don’t.

I try to map out the day around certain topics or events. Sometimes you just can’t make it; the field distance is just too far for the time allotted to get there.

It’s hard to get to the HBA coffee in the morning. Easy location, but you got to get up. Stuff starts happening and it disbands. Leave earlier than you think.

I learned to take my shower as late in the evening as I could. Don’t think you will take a shower at 6 in the morning and hit the show line by 8. They are in use 24/7 but there are lull times. You are camping at Gettysburg right before the battle not at a state park. It’s a very entertaining campground, just watching the people.

It actually takes some effort to go back to the campground, not because of location, but because you end up cramming everything you can in. It all depends on the number of days you plan to be there. The more days, the more you can spread out some of the stuff that happens daily.

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.

The thing that happens when you go for the first time is you understand how to do it better the next time.

geosnooker2000

Also, I was surprised to learn that campfires are allowed, and they actually want you to use their wood, so as not to "introduce foreign ash" into the local environment. I don't know how real that issue is, but am happy we are allowed to have a campfire.

geosnooker2000

The thing that happens when you go for the first time is you understand how to do it better the next time.
And that is EXACTLY why we made a last minute decision to go for 3 days this year. I view it as a sacrificial visit just to know how to do it in the future.

BJC

HBA Supporter
3) If you can avoid eating the $18 bratwurst and burgers and sodas and fried ostrich turds and whatever on the airport,
The best deal for lunch is a Subway sandwich or salad. Same price as everywhere.
I try to map out the day around certain topics or events. Sometimes you just can’t make it; the field distance is just too far for the time allotted to get there.
That is important. You won’t be able to do everything that you want to, so choose carefully to minimize travel time. I would skip the museum. It is worth seeing, but takes too much time, plus the closed areas for special events for special people. Don’t count on the trams for timely, convenient, travel. Do have earplugs, as previously suggested. Consider skipping the airshow. Big waste of time. Note closing times for the hangars.

Above all else, enjoy yourself.

BJC

FrankenWompus

Just a note on the bug spray, I've had extremely good luck with this stuff...

Permethrin

Went on a 3 day backpacking trip with some friends. I heard the bugs were crazy before I went so I threw a hail Mary and bought this stuff the day before. Holy mackerel, what a difference. They all got eaten, but me and my partner got maybe 3 bites between us the whole time. You'll still need a bit of whatever regular bug spray you use for any exposed skin (this stuff goes on clothes, though I think it helps keep the bugs away in general.), but it's a lifesaver. Follow the directions and you'll thank me later!

TFF

I tend to wander around during the airshow. Occasionally looking up to see something interesting. I have seen lots of airshows. First time it’s good to watch. It usually not that different day to day in essence unless it’s got something like T birds or Blues as they only do one or two days. Night airshow is fun just because it extends the days activities. You will get it. As with everything there is some stuff I never look at and there is some stuff there is not enough of.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
First time at OSH was in 1974. My 3 children grew up going each year and taking a camper for the week. Been many years since I have been there and thinking maybe going one last time. I used to lose about 15 lbs that week from all the walking, but now I have a bum left leg with lots of metal and can't do the walking. Thinking of flying up sometime and just camping with the airplane and not moving much. Then I would have to take a thick foam mattress for my old bones. :) Hate camping when it rains, and never been there were it didn't rain . The last time tent camping at OSH I had 6" of water in the floor of the tent that night. Just me and a neighbor and we had been there 3 days, so we packed up all the wet things and drove home.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
But on #2, "before you go to the airport every day" once we get settled into our camp site, I am *NOT* driving anywhere until Sunday when it's time to leave for home.
Then get as much snack and meal replacement food as you can smuggle in to the campground on that one trip to Wally World.

And if you like to drink soda, get screw-top bottles of soda that you can refill. Last time I was at OSH they had this bizarre rule that there were no lids or straws allowed for the drink cups. I'm not kidding, you were supposed to walk around without being able to cover the cup of soda, because (as the story goes) Paul or Tom or whoever used to get really upset about the lids on the ground after the show. Why the cups didn't bother them, why their customers being angry about spilled soda didn't bother them, why their customers having mosquitoes and flies floating in their soda didn't bother them... I have no idea.

robertl

And that is EXACTLY why we made a last minute decision to go for 3 days this year. I view it as a sacrificial visit just to know how to do it in the future.
Get a few of the desposable rain coats from WalMart also, or anywhere, they are cheap, will fit in your pocket and you will use it.
Bob

Dav3xor

It's been a few years for me, so some of this might have changed...

You should go to Leon's once, that's a tradition my people used to do.

There's tons of signs for the camping, and the organization is very good.

After your first year in the campground, you'll probably rent a house for a week outside of town like everyone else does.

The beer garden out by the main entrance (SOS Brothers I think?) is a great/terrible place to have a sit after a long day. I highly somewhat recommend it. But you'll be camping on grounds, so probably wont be interested.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The beer garden out by the main entrance (SOS Brothers I think?) is a great/terrible place to have a sit after a long day. I highly somewhat recommend it. But you'll be camping on grounds, so probably wont be interested.
Anyone know the status of EAA’s law suit against SOS?

BJC