Advice for new attendees/drivers to Osh

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I suggest a hat so the back of your neck doesn't get sunburned. Also bring a warm coat because Wisconsin can be very cold.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Very hot, very cold, very dry, very wet. Did I miss anything ?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Oh, I forgot something. A bicycle is nice to have if you're out in the boonies at Scholler so that you can get to/from the gates in the morning and evening. If you don't have room to pack one, pick one up at Goodwill for $30, then donate it back at the end of the week. Money well spent.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Most of it great info.

It has not been mentioned, but with 8000 airplanes on the site, tolerate no littering. It can go through a prop or into a cooling inlet...

Sunscreen for the days, bug juice for the nights, good shoes for walking and standing, the nicest folding chair for camp, the easiest carrying folding chair or a picnic throw for sitting on the show.

On the cost of food and drinks on site, yes, haul in what you can, but costs are about the same as going skiing, and I think most of the food is good. I buy almost all of my food and drink on site rather than make the airplane overweight.

Bikes are great. I bring a folder in the airplane. No way to bring your own? Local Salvation Army will sell you a bike cheap, the deal is you leave it, they collect them and resell them again next year. They make some money, you get a pretty much theft free bike that you did not have to transport.

Make sure most of the memory on your camera is available. Bring an empty notebook or two. You will need it.

Try not to spend more than half a day on warbirds, antiques, the museum, or the exhibit buildings. This guideline is intended to allow plenty of time for looking at homebuilts, serious shopping for airplane stuff, forums, and homebuilders education area.

Do get coffee and friendly faces at HBHQ each morning.

Billski

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
There is a really nice Supermarket just across the road from the North 40 airplane camping area . I think it's a Pick and Save . easy walking distance . I always drive there and it's no problem getting back to your camping area , just don't attempt to make the trip within 3/4 hours before the beginning of the airshow . Airshow traffic is terrible with all the incoming enthusiasts . Likewise , after the show . The Supermarket is beyond impressive and right there close .

Tiger Tim

There used to also be a free shuttle bus from the campsite to a nearby grocery store, but I was last on it 10+ years ago. Hopefully it’s still going.

geosnooker2000

Well, a bit of a game-changer... I learned late yesterday that our EAA chapter president is going up there a little early and staking out a big enough area that all of us Chapter 182 members can camp together. Apparently they do this every year. So my wife and I will be will people who know what the hell is going on. Kind of a relief for me.

GlassVampire

I've camped at Scholler for the last 4 years (besides last year of course). To add to what someone said above, if you do need to go to walmart for something and don't want to drive, you can take the bus from the bus depot in front of the show entrance to walmart and back. They run like every 45 minutes or so and are free as long as you have a wristband. The bus to/from the Seaplane base is not free. Well, it's free to get there but they collect $5 to get back. The campground stores have the basics, ice, coffee and donuts in the morning, etc but you'll be paying more for stuff there than if you just went to walmart once or twice during the week. Bring a backback into the show to shove all the free goodies or shirts etc if you buy any. It sucks to carry all that stuff around with you all day. And to put your water, camera, rainjacket if it might rain, etc into. As for getting into the camp, it's pretty easy. You'll easily see the entrances and just pull into a lane. They'll be a few people directing traffic and you'll get out and get your credentials from the hut- unless you got them early this year and they mailed them to you. Just make sure you don't accidently make a wrong turn and end up in the line trying to get to the main show parking. If you do, you might end up having to wait for 30-40 minutes while you loop back around (I did that my first year)

Dav3xor

Oh! another thing.. Go to the vintage aircraft parking -- you'll never have another chance to see 5 Staggerwings in one place.

Martin W

Just a note on the bug spray, I've had extremely good luck with this stuff...

Permethrin

Went on a 3 day backpacking trip with some friends. I heard the bugs were crazy before I went so I threw a hail Mary and bought this stuff the day before. Holy mackerel, what a difference. They all got eaten, but me and my partner got maybe 3 bites between us the whole time. You'll still need a bit of whatever regular bug spray you use for any exposed skin (this stuff goes on clothes, though I think it helps keep the bugs away in general.), but it's a lifesaver. Follow the directions and you'll thank me later!
thanks .... I am going to try it ..... but I still say that an application of Malathion by air gets rid of the all the mosquitos

PMD

A few questions and comments.

I have always stayed off site, have parked in Appleton and bummed rides down, have stayed in small towns and driven in daily. This year, the plan was to come down in the Aztruck and camp, but my flybuddy had gear retract in middle ot takeoff run last month, so the old girl is no more (shame as he had just completed a $100k glass panel!!!!!). So, IF the US border opens to non-essential land traffic, wife and I will be able to stop but one day on the way through. We will arrive on 27th afternoon/evening and leave 29th AM. So, we would like to stay on site and camp to avoid commute time and have evenings to visit with friends.

Never having camped there at all, wondering about procedures, locations, etc. for drive-in camping mid week. Is the door slammer/cage campground on or near the aviation campground? Any suggestions welcome (and BTW....GET THE DARNED BORDER OPEN BEFORE OSH!!!!!!) We may harbour terrorists up here - maybe even teach them to fly - but I am not one of them!

TFF

Camping will take care of it’s self. They are pros. Finding a space can be an adventure and sometimes you have to be creative.
The only note I have is when you go in, you will pay for all the possible days left with a minimum of three or what is left in the show, and they will refund the rest when you leave.

gtae07

I've been twice and stayed in a rented house (with air conditioning) in town both times. Bus there and back is cheap, I recommend it.

I don't know if I'll ever fly in again or not, though. It was a cluster both times.

Backpack with a hydration bladder is where it's at for daily use. A possible second would be an insulated cooler backpack. Water, a gatorade or two, and no-refrigeration food if you can manage it. My strategy was to load up at breakfast in town (we found a coffee shop with good high-protein breakfast options), get to the HBA coffee meet, survive on power bars through the day, hit SOS for beer later in the afternoon, then ride the bus back to town for dinner and more beer.

SOS is walking distance from the gate; it's nothing special but they have cold beer and you can sit around outside with your friends and hangar fly.

Be ready to take lots of pictures. One of my favorite parts was walking around and stealing ideas from all the other homebuilts.

Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, and good comfortable shoes. Bring anti-chafe stuff (e.g. bodyglide) as you will be walking a lot. Even if the weather is forecast to be warm, bring a sweatshirt or a jacket. The mornings may be chilly (at least they were to me; I'm used to low-mid 70s and saturated in July).

Bill-Higdon

I've been twice and stayed in a rented house (with air conditioning) in town both times. Bus there and back is cheap, I recommend it.

I don't know if I'll ever fly in again or not, though. It was a cluster both times.

Backpack with a hydration bladder is where it's at for daily use. A possible second would be an insulated cooler backpack. Water, a gatorade or two, and no-refrigeration food if you can manage it. My strategy was to load up at breakfast in town (we found a coffee shop with good high-protein breakfast options), get to the HBA coffee meet, survive on power bars through the day, hit SOS for beer later in the afternoon, then ride the bus back to town for dinner and more beer.

SOS is walking distance from the gate; it's nothing special but they have cold beer and you can sit around outside with your friends and hangar fly.

Be ready to take lots of pictures. One of my favorite parts was walking around and stealing ideas from all the other homebuilts.

Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, and good comfortable shoes. Bring anti-chafe stuff (e.g. bodyglide) as you will be walking a lot. Even if the weather is forecast to be warm, bring a sweatshirt or a jacket. The mornings may be chilly (at least they were to me; I'm used to low-mid 70s and saturated in July).
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a small light weight folding stool/chair of some sort to sit on when you get tired of walking & gawking