• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A question about AGL vs MSL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
So I come from an island, where when a controller gives you an altitude, that is the altitude, because we're so low to the water. Flying in the States now, I've had some confusion.

If the controller tells you to fly an altitude of 1500 feet, and the airport is at 500 feet, do you fly at 1500 indicated, or 2,000 indicated? And if the traffic pattern is at 1,000, do you fly at 1,500 or 1,000 indicated?

EDIT: And just to confirm, when you takeoff you want to set your Mode C transponder to "Alt" correct? I also don't know this because the aircraft I flew (Da-20) before coming here had it all automatically turn on; there was one big avionics master switch and once it was on, the magical transponder box was doing what it was supposed to do.

Back