Quantcast

.50 Caliber Browning Guns

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

Some say it is the supercharger, some say it is the cooling vents. If I were a betting man, and I am not, I would say gun barrels. This is a easy issue to solve. Whomever has a Mustang should tape or plug the barrels and we will settle it once and for all.

Now, the P-47 had 8 of these barrels. I have never noticed the "whistle" on the 47. However, I have not been around too many 47's enough to definitively say one way or another.

The Corsair also had a distinct "whistle" which has been proven to be a cause of the openings in the leading inside edge of the wings that house the radiators for the oil cooler. One on each side.

So, Warbird owners, speak up!

Thanks,

Yellowhammer

Deuelly

Log Member
I am very interested in what you think is the cause of said whistle or the unique sound in which everyone is making reference to?
I help maintain two mustangs. One is one of the most original in the world including having reel 50 cals in it at one time. The other is a former Reno racer that for the most part is stock structurally except to gun ports are skinned over. The stock Mustang has never had a whistle. The former Reno racer used to have a whistle just like in the video TX posted above. We re-rigged the gear doors and the whistle went away. We've also fixed a few other Mustang whistles by re-rigging the gear doors.

I don't know if people understand how air flows around a wing. In a Mustang if air is flowing at 80-90 degrees alpha to the wing, like shown in the video, you're in big trouble.

Brandon

TXFlyGuy

I wonder how loud that whistle would be if he blew air directly at the barrels like they would see in flight?

Brandon
There is zero whistle in normal, straight / level flight. The whistle only occurs during steeper angle of attacks. I experienced this same thing with the air hose, and my gun barrels.

Yellowhammer

I help maintain two mustangs. One is one of the most original in the world including having reel 50 cals in it at one time. The other is a former Reno racer that for the most part is stock structurally except to gun ports are skinned over. The stock Mustang has never had a whistle. The former Reno racer used to have a whistle just like in the video TX posted above. We re-rigged the gear doors and the whistle went away. We've also fixed a few other Mustang whistles by re-rigging the gear doors.

I don't know if people understand how air flows around a wing. In a Mustang if air is flowing at 80-90 degrees alpha to the wing, like shown in the video, you're in big trouble.

Brandon

Brandon,

Thank you for the education sir. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I wish I had the opportunity to be around such aircraft that you have been around.
So, your saying it was the gear doors that caused the noise?

Again, thanks for the education. It truly means a lot to me.

Sincerely and Most Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

Deuelly

Log Member
So, your saying it was the gear doors that caused the noise?
Yes, in the case of our Mustang and a few other Mustang owned by friends.

Our Mustang with no gun ports is used guide often by the owner to do an airshow routine. We started noticing that in hight "G" maneuvers the plane was starting to whistle just like in the video. We traced it to the gear doors sagging under "G" load. Re-rigging the gear fixed the problem.

This is my own opinion based off my experience.

Brandon

TXFlyGuy

Whistle or not, I could listen to those Merlins all day long.
During an interview with the pilot who crash landed a P-51 a couple years ago at Duxford, he stated he knew the airplane was near a stall when he could hear tell tale whistle of the gun barrels.

Watch the video here, plus there is a longer version with the full (25 minute) interview:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Never mind gun barrels or landing gear doors. Is it the Merlin engine’s torque or HP that makes that pleasing sound?

BJC