4.3 V6 Chevy information

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

E

ekimneirbo

For anyone considering a 4.3 V6 Chevy engine to use in their airplane, try to get a copy of a book called "Chevrolet Power" by Rich Voegelin. It was published by HP Books in 1983. Although the engine was produced long after that, this book has a wealth of technical info,dimensions,and details on the 4.3 and other Chevy engines. It has the kind of info that is difficult to find.
Its currently available thru Amazon for less than $25.

slociviccoupe

also look at mercruiser's line of chevy v6 engines. most come fuel injected. the injection system and engine specs for bearing clearances ect could be applied to making the all aluminum v6 into continuous duty use. they spin 5.5k-6k rpms all day in boats and put out as much power as a small block v8 but with less tq.
and most are vortech motors. aluminum efi intake manifolds are standard.

not saying to use the irpon block mercruiser engines but their internals and specs they are built with would be good for aircraft power in an all aluminum package.

GrizzlyV6

Hey Ben, hope you're doing well.
I talked to Craig Catto about cutting my prop. The power range we're working with is 3500rpm for take off @195hp and 3000-3200rpm for cruise @ 175-185hp.
I will play with scanner and see if I can get the document to save to my computer and post it as a link here. Is that possible on this site?

Jim

GrizzlyV6

You have quite an airplane/toy there. I know I was impressed with the take off.

For the masses, here's a short story. My family and I stopped in Jackson Wyoming on the continuation of our vacation after leaving Yellowstone. Ben met us at his hangar and gave me a walk around then the big moment. Let's go for a ride. When we got to the hold short line, Ben got his clearance for departure. From idle to wheels off the pavement happened in about 75 feet or so. It was very short and quick.

Let us know what show and when. It's always fun to watch people you know in the spotlight.

Jim

Irelands_Son

Im a licensed Mechanic and would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding this or any other engine. If I dont reply here then please email me.