• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

100hp to 110hp engine needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubber314chicken

I'm looking for an engine in the 100-110 hp range for a biplane built from plans that I'm thinking of building. What would you recommend on a cost basis that will run on auto gas (that isn't a requirement, but with the lower price and long spark plug life I'd prefer it)?

I've seen:
subaru
vw
mazda rotary

I know the subaru and mazda would need a psru, but the vw here looks like it wouldn't, is that right? and is the 2180cc model more than 73 hp, because that seems low (30cc per hp??) and 215 lbs of thruse for a 64" prop, which is about what the plane would need.

speaking of which, I'm referring to this plane: http://www.fisherflying.com/fleet/TheCelebrity/

How much thrust would it need to cruise at say 95-100 mph? I read a build log where the guy used a 100 hp continental, and he said he cruises at about 80. I put into a java applet, which gave my 200ish lbs of thrust (the first time it gave me 290, but the second it gave my 200ish, which seemed a bit more reasonable.

Back