• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Plywood construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young gun

Hi guys,
Im new here and bare with this might be a long post. Im trying to design my own plane. it will be a two place ( two real people, not faa people) side by side. Im thinking auto conversion mabey 6 cylinder honda with a reduction drive. I have just the very basics figured out right now, wing area, hp requirements and so on. im trying to think of realitivly inexpensive construction thechics and really like the way that the volksplane vp-1 is built with the plywood sides and the longerons. this obviosly works for a 65hp, 80 mph airplane but what kind of prblems could I expect if I wanted to incrase the hp to 180 or so and the cuise to about 130-140 mph. I know that the boxy fuselage will add to drag but im thinking about structual strength. right now.

Thanks,
Chad

Back