• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

HKS replacement engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaitcev

Now that HKS is no more, what are our options? Not being any kind of actual homebuilder, I'm looking most of all to something that can easily bolt on a similar motor mount. That it should not be heavier is a given. I must fit a 68" propeller as well.

I already did some basic research and it appears that 1/2 WV is by far the most favoured by the experts. When used without a redrive, like Sonex does with a 4-cylinder WV, it should fit. However, it's essential for me to retain HKS' power, and I do not think 1/2 WV can do that. My airplane just will not climb worth of anything as soon as I switch HKS from takeoff to cruise power (6200 rpm to 5800 rpm). In fact, it's preferable for me to raise power, provided I can meet the weight.

carlson_hks.jpg

Attached is the layout of my airplane with a bed-type mount (painted white).

The HKS manual says that the weight is 121 lbs including exhaust, oil tank, and oil cooler.

Back