• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Please Critique My Design Idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilopa

Firstly, the images should be considered a napkin sketch at best as the rendering is very poor. I'd been banging my head against the wall trying to learn 3D programs like Blender and Maya, then I tried sketchup from a recommendation in a current thread (thanks CheapRacer) and it truly is easy to use. 3 hours after installing the free version I was able to put something down that resembles my idea, although it is still a bit rough.

wing5.jpg wing7.jpg

wing6.jpg wing11.jpg

wing12.jpg wing10.jpg wing8.jpg

Just to clarify what is missing from the images:

-It is a closed cockpit, similar to a single sailplane - aerodynamic, low profile, reclined.
-The wing tips are not open as in the images, it is a closed, continuous wing. It will have a winglet type extension off of the forward wing.
-The nose wheel will be retractable.
-I'm still unclear about the shape and specifics of the fuselage, what I have in the image is just a placeholder.

General Specs:

Airplane mission - cruiser

Single Place
Length = 18ft - the image is actually 16ft I botch that up somehow at the end.
Wing Span = 22ft
Height = 7 ft
Empty Weight = around 500 lbs

Aerodynamic benefits of the wing.

- One-piece, sparless wing - allowing for a stronger and lighter wing.
- Wingtip vortices drag is reduced by having a closed wing. The spanwise flow of air over the front wing will continue over the tip of the rear forward-swept wing thereby reducing tip drag.
- No horizontal stabilizer - no negative lifting body. Both wings produce positive lift so there is not the drag associated with an H-stabilizer.
- Interference/form drag reduced. The rear wing is attached to a pylon thus limiting the interference drag associated with turbulent airflow across the wing.

Powertrain.

The plane will be powered by a Yamaha Genesis 150 FI. the engine will sit inside a duct/shroud of 40 inches in diameter and made of fiberglass. The engine will push a 5-blade propeller spinning at 5000 rpm. This engine has a reputation for quality and reliability and it has a high power/weight ratio. The engine will be turbocharged, yamaha sells both a turbo and a super - charger for this engine that have been fairly extensively tested by the snowmobile community.

Engine specs:

150 HP 1.0 liter - liquid-cooled.
4 Cylinder - 4-stroke.
Max HP @ about 9500 rpm
108 HP @ 5000 rpm

Dimensions:
L = 22"
H = 18"
W = 10"
Weight = 129 LBS

With a 40" diameter shroud this engine can sit inside the shroud and still have good clearance on about 80 percent of the propeller travel. That would be 15" radius of propeller thrust that is unobstructed by the engine for 80% of the props turn range. The other 20% will have only 7" of clearance. I'm guesstimating of course based on images of the engine and the specs.

The benefits of this powertrain is that it allows for a pusher aircraft with less turbulent flow into the prop. And a low-cost, low weight, high power engine.

Control surfaces.

The rudder will be directly behind the shroud.

Have not worked out the elevator and ailerons yet.

Back