• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need Help for Cub Type Trim Actuator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzoooie

I have been considering a Cub type screw jack trim system for my 85% Cub project.
I have been looking at 24v (altenator is 24V) Linear Actuators with a weight around 2 - 3 pounds.
They seem to be a good choice with no complicated cables and pulleys with travel limit shut off and I need added weight in the tail to compensate for a heavier engine.
For consideration is a 3" or 4" stroke length. 3" travel gives me 4° stabilizer deflection and 4" travel give me 5° stabilizer deflection each up and down for a total of 8° and 10°.

There are several weight ratings available, but some are heavier and over all longer. I have room for 15" extended max length.
Travel times and weight ratings for those I have been looking at are: 4mm/second - 330lb and 100mm/second - 220lb.
As speed increases weight capacity decreases so a heavier capacity would be needed if those weight capacities are not enough.

I need some help with choosing one with an appropriate speed and perhaps weight rating. It seems 4mm/s might be slow and maybe 100mm/s might work, but I'm not sure what a good travel speed would be.
If it's too fast fine tuning will not be so easy and if it's too slow it will take too much time when flaps are extended.

I'm expecting a cruise speed of around 65-70mph.

Any suggestions?

ZZ

Back