• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Drivetrain Power Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerZone

Thanks for all of the info. I didn’t reply sooner because the discussions quickly went over my head. I could in no way do the suggested math required and could only resort to trial and error which some posters suggested against. Also, although I could handle a little extra weight, the discussions led me to believe that a 5 foot shaft system would add enough weight/complexity to put the idea outside of the design mission. There is a design ( French I believe) that uses this setup with a BMW engine. It is a really nice looking aircraft and I’ll try to find pics of it and post. My design objectives required extremely light weight and unexcelled visibility. I could go with a swept forward wing but I really don’t like that idea. Thanks again.

There was a French short shaft homebuilt design driven by a Suzuki GSXR motorcycle engine and chain. The guy left the clutch inside the geared engine and used sprockets to achieve the final adjustment. Had more than 800 flying hours last time I've seen it.

Bear in mind also that chains&sprockets lose only 2 to 3% efficiency, while belts 10-20% and shafts 20-35% efficiency. Hence if you prefer some KISS solution, it might be wise to see if you can use some simple and proven concepts.

Back