• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Yet another engine quest...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fly scared!

If and when I'll take a firm decision about going ahead with my two seater project, I will need a cheap, easy way to keep flying without complications while building.
Recently I've been offered the opportunity to finish the single seater version of the same aircraft, which would be the best choice, as I could start learning on a pretty similar aircraft. It only needs to fit an engine.
So I wonder: could I use the same engine for both configurations ?

Single: max weight 55 kg, min power 35 HP
Double: max weight 85 kg, min power 65 HP

So I would need an engine weighting 55- kg and delivering 65+ HP. (==Rotax 582)
I don't want to go two stroke if possible, so these are the options with four strokers:

- HKS 700e seems almost perfect here, but they are asking about 11000€ for it here in Italy.

- the D-motor LF26 would meet and exceed specs, but it is unproven and even more expensive, about 13000€

- another option would be the AeroTwin, I could spare on the psru and turbo and then retrofit them. Probably around 10000€, but the company seems dead (bouncing e-mail).

- a similar, local option would be the Flygas GAS252 but, as always, italian companies are very opaque about prices and configurations. I heard in the order of the 912 price, bye bye.

Too bad there's no 3/4 VW...

Any other (cheaper) options ?

Back