Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Rockiedog2, Feb 28, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Was in a 3rd world country all last week with really spotty(like almost none) inet. Tried repeatedly to get the latest HBA "new posts" and got mostly frustrations. Didn't realize how dependent I had become. I do check those daily and when see something of interest/feel like I can contribute to/have questions about well, I'll do a reply. And the replies are usually informative/worthwhile/interesting/tolerant. One gets used to that...this is about the only forum I spend time on anymore except when researching. The *best* for my set of interests with by far the most intelligent/experienced/educated/semi polite(LOL) membership. Thanks Jake for hosting us
    I'm glad to be back.

Just sayin...

Spencer

2. Feb 28, 2016 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

HBA is addictive. I really would like to meet more of you.

Anyone going to attend Sun n Fun?

BJC

Pops likes this.
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #3

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I haven't been in a while. Got a little weary of the unpredictable FL spring wx. Roast, freeze, drown, blow away. I slept in a C170 for 3 nights while JB who was stubborn insisted on sleeping under the wing in his sopping wet tent/sleeping bag. He groaned somethin awful all night; complained he was wet and cold and his bed was uncomfortable. When we broke camp we found the claw hammer under his sleeping bag. And there was the time the wind blew over a porta john and it washed out like a river into the front door of this poor devil's pup tent. yeh near filled it up. cameras, clothes all of it. He didn't touch it left it all right there and got in his plane and went home. I survived a bad squall line one night; got up the next morning and my tent and sleeping bag were soaked. Weighed about a hundred #. Drug it all over to a dumpster and managed to get it over the side and in it. Fired up and flew home. Good thing I buy cheap camping stuff. And we know what happened to Zenith's planes. And plenty other stories about Sun n Fun wx.
    I might be foolish enough to go. What are the dates?

4. Feb 28, 2016 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

This year's Sun n Fun is scheduled for April 5 -10.

I watched on the radar as the tornado formed about a mile north of my daughter's house in St. Peretsburg, and told my son in law and college roommate that we would stay home that day. Glad we did. We watch it go straight east to Linder Airport. Got there early the next day, rode in through standing water with some insurance adjusters, saw a huge pile of scrap that once was the pride and joy of the builders, owners and pilots. Not good.

The non-showplane camping is (was?) in a flood area. It doesn't take much rain to turn it into a shallow lake. Classic and homebuilt camping areas are much better.

If anyone want to meet up during SnF, let me know here or, if you prefer, via PM.

BJC

5. Feb 28, 2016 #5

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Same. The dozen or so I've met so far were interesting and very, very friendly and helpful.

I might actually be the first to find a job through HBA :ban:

If you ever pass through Schiphol, consider staying over for a few days. You're more than welcome to!

6. Feb 29, 2016 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

Sounds like some of my OSH stories. Plus camping at Lock Have, Pa one time and a storm almost tore the left door off my C-172 while I was in a tent under the wing. Piper Pacer next door also got damaged.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  7. Mar 4, 2016 #7

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Me and my building mentor at the time were at a vendor booth when the tornado came through in 2011. We both wound up soaked to the bone and he had to replace his iPhone. It was ruined as he wound up face down in the water until he found a place to run to. I lost site of him as the rain was sideways and debris was flying everywhere. I ended up in a small metal building across the street from where we had been. It all happened so quickly!

Sure was sad to see so many destroyed airplanes! Fellow Sonex builder Tony Spicer had built a beautiful RV that was totaled in the storm:

[​IMG]

Not sure how soon I'll get back to Sun-N-Fun. In the mean time I've discovered a way to destroy an aggravating airplane that doesn't require a tornado to do it:

[video=youtube;QAxuEiQYnW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxuEiQYnW4[/video]

BTW ... There were no aircraft harmed in the making of that video!

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    116.8 hours / Status - Flying

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Joe Fisher and BJC like this.
  8. Mar 4, 2016 #8

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

This brings up an interesting question. I am an Ham Radio Operator, and one of the things I have learned about the hobby, is that FCC rules imply that deliberately destroying radio equipment is illegal. I don't have the rules on hand right now, but that is what I remember.

Does such a rule exist for aircraft?

I'm guessing not as I have seen videos of aircraft being chopped up at salvage centers.

9. Mar 4, 2016 #9

BJC

BJC

BJC

Lots of nice airplanes were lost that day, and Tony's RV-3 was a really fine example of craftsmanship (as was his Sonex.) I'm eager to see his Prowler.

BJC

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  10. Mar 4, 2016 #10

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Tony's RV-3 is being rebuilt! KatieB over at VAF is doing it.

BJC likes this.
  11. Mar 5, 2016 #11

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

It was definitely sad to see all those aircraft damaged at sun and fun. I only go to sentimental journey, oshkosh/Broadhead. I am done with tents but I like to camp because at the end of the day I don't feel like traveling to and from accommodations, been there done that. I haven't flown a homebuilt to oshkosh since 1980 and last flew in in my comanche in '96. I would rather drive, buy stuff at the fly market and not worry about the wx. I built myself a modified teardrop trailer that pulls nice behind my little ranger 4 cyl PU and that's all I need. Bicycles are great at oshkosh, makes it quick to get to the red barn where all the fun is. My wife doesn't go and is glad for my son and I to do our thing. Hope to meet some forum members at one or more of these fly ins.

MikePousson and BJC like this.