Why do so many builders cleco EVERY hole?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
Thin metal can have a pinch; bunch up a bit. Thick may not seat. It happens especially on long lines where the sheet can move a bit. Clecos don’t fill the holes perfect. What ever you call the screw in clecos, are nice to help lock in spots. About a gallon and a half of clecos will do a RV nicely.
They are called sheet grips and some "bashers" prefer them to Clecos.

pfarber

Just watched the VANS video where they build the fuel tank. Every third or fourth hole. Wing didn't look like a porcupine.

But but but complex shapes!?!?! Lol that 103rd cleco 3 feet away isn't doing anything other than wasting your time.

Actually is a good insight into building. Guy gives lots of tips.

gtae07

Just watched the VANS video where they build the fuel tank. Every third or fourth hole. Wing didn't look like a porcupine.

But but but complex shapes!?!?! Lol that 103rd cleco 3 feet away isn't doing anything other than wasting your time.

Actually is a good insight into building. Guy gives lots of tips.
Tell you what though, the first time you put the ribs and skins together for drilling, you'll probably need to put one every hole for about the first 8-10 holes or so to pull it in. All my leading edges were like that.

It doesn't have to be a "complex" shape to need more clecos. A small radius of curvature, especially on a skin that hasn't been pre-formed, can take lots of clecoes just to get it to lay down right. I know getting my forward skin down right takes a cleco in every hole in the curved part. Once it's down and clecoed to the longeron you can pull some out.

Best thing to do with an RV fuel tank build is to let someone else build it for you.
If the fuel tanks scare you, you'll never manage the rest of the build. If I could help my dad build his when I was about 14, you can manage it. They really aren't that bad.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
I've been the Inspector on 9 RV builds, from plans built to quick build kit. Anyone who built the tanks themselves hated the job as they were not used to dealing with sealant and regretted not buying the pre-built tanks. I work in an airline and have plenty of experience with sealant and I hate the stuff! The rest of the aircraft is a comparatively simple process, because, compared to older generation kits, it's practically plug and play.

pfarber

I've been the Inspector on 9 RV builds, from plans built to quick build kit. Anyone who built the tanks themselves hated the job as they were not used to dealing with sealant and regretted not buying the pre-built tanks. I work in an airline and have plenty of experience with sealant and I hate the stuff! The rest of the aircraft is a comparatively simple process, because, compared to older generation kits, it's practically plug and play.

I thought the video was pretty straightforward. The Bede uses PROseal for the entire rib/skin build. I don't see a huge issue as long as you understand the 'less is more' principal. The gun they use it kinda expensive, but most likely worth it.

What are the most common failures that you see?

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
I drill every hole undersized, then to the #40 or #30, or whatever size needed. I cleco every hole when drilling for accuracy.. After the holes are done then every 3-4th hole for assembly. I'm not in that much of a hurry even though I'm old.....

Marc Bourget

If you really wish to ensure accuracy, consider drilling some intelligently selected holes 1/8" and use a rivet for a locator (cleeco close by if you're a spaced cleeco user).

Cleecos don't "repeat" well with regard to position.

pfarber

If you really wish to ensure accuracy, consider drilling some intelligently selected holes 1/8" and use a rivet for a locator (cleeco close by if you're a spaced cleeco user).

Cleecos don't "repeat" well with regard to position.
Good tip.