Which Cub Kit?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

GarandOwner

I am trying to decide which kitplane to purchase. I'm looking at one of the "Piper Cub" variants. I know there are quite a few out there. My question is does anyone have any experience with some of these (good, bad or otherwise). I am currently looking at the following:

Cub Crafters - Carbon Cub EX
Wag-Aero's - Sport Trainer
Backcountry Super Cubs - Super Cub kit

If anyone has experience with other kits I would be interested to know. I have experience with aircraft design and certification but not with "hands-on" building experience. I have designed my own "custom" aircraft, but due to the cost of fabricating a scratch "one-of-a-kind", paired with this being my first home-built (I'm realistic, so I'm budgeting for parts that will have to be made twice) so for my first I'd like to go the kit route.

Battson

This is third hand, so it's worth what you paid... grain of salt included:

I am told about a guy down south here who ordered a kit from (formerly) TurbineCubs in 2009, which took months to ship over from the USA (as they all do to NZ) so waiting, waiting, waiting... then he finally got it, looked it over, and decided to send it back!! :shock:
Apparently the welding wasn't up to his standard, and a reputable local engineer (fabricator) is said to have corroberated. I doubt if any meaningful NDT or professional engineering inspection was done, but really ugly welding in itself can pose a risk. This is a true story, but I dont know the fine details behind the scenes.

Then again, maybe he just changed his mind and needed an excuse to get a refund! :speechles

TurbineCubs became Backcountry Cubs, I dont know if there was a change of ownership etc etc. Have you asked on the Super Cub forum??

Dave Prizio

If you check out the March 2012 issue of KITPLANES you will find a pretty comprehensive review of all the Super Cub-type kits on the market. The Super Cub forum SuperCub.org - The Home of All Things PA-18 is a good place to ask specific questions about PA-18s and their kin. To address your specific questions: CubCrafters is a first class operation with first class airplanes and kits. They ain't cheap, but they are really good. The Wag Aero Sport Trainer is based on the J-3 Cub design and is therefore pretty tight on room for bigger people. It is the cheapest of the possible choices to build, but it will also be the most work to put together. It is really not a direct competitor of the larger PA-18 style planes. Backcountry Cubs is the successor to Smith Cubs and Turbine Cubs of Wyoming. They have impressive looking stuff but I have received mixed reviews on doing business with them. I will not directly criticize them because I do not have first-hand knowledge, but I suggest you ask for references and check them out if you are considering them.

PTAirco

I wouldn't buy an American Legend Cub almost out of principle - On their site it mentions how they kept all the great qualities of the original Cub, "including the Clark Y airfoil".... No Cub ever had a Clark Y airfoil! It used the USA 35B. I did point this out to them once, but I guess it didn't really matter to them.

"When we set out to design the Legend Cub we knew that the time-tested Clark-Y airfoil was the best available. So we changed nothing. At least not with regards to the superb airflow qualities we knew we could achieve.
"

Kind of like the 5,500+ hrs instructor I once had who told me a PA 28 had basically the same Clark Y airfoil airfoil as a Cub. Really?

Yes, I am easily influenced by silly mistakes like that.....

To mac

I am told about a guy down south here who ordered a kit from (formerly) TurbineCubs in 2009, which took months to ship over from the USA (as they all do to NZ) so waiting, waiting, waiting... then he finally got it, looked it over, and decided to send it back!! :shock:
Apparently the welding wasn't up to his standard, and a reputable local engineer (fabricator) is said to have corroberated. I doubt if any meaningful NDT or professional engineering inspection was done, but really ugly welding in itself can pose a risk. This is a true story, but I dont know the fine details behind the scenes.

Then again, maybe he just changed his mind and needed an excuse to get a refund! :speechles

TurbineCubs became Backcountry Cubs, I dont know if there was a change of ownership etc etc. Have you asked on the Super Cub forum??

I am told about a guy down south here who ordered a kit from (formerly) TurbineCubs in 2009, which took months to ship over from the USA (as they all do to NZ) so waiting, waiting, waiting... then he finally got it, looked it over, and decided to send it back!!

Then again, maybe he just changed his mind and needed an excuse to get a refund!

Hi,I have just read this forum letter.I am the above mentioned guy and can elaborate on the info.I received the backcountry kit which was poorly welded.Two long term licensed aircraft engineers deemed the fuse welding as non airworthy.So badly jigged was the fuselage that the stabiliser jack screw would not even fit in.The engine mounts were poorly aligned,the flight control bushings were not aligned.No explanation was given by Backcountry cubs,but after some terse communications they agreed to replace the fuselage and flight controls with the replacement ones made by Jay at Javroninc.We found out at the same time we were not the only people to complain possibly because Backcountry had started making their own fuselages and flight control surfaces.We signed an agreement and the new parts duly arrived in NZ made by Javron.They were top quality.Sadly Backcountry failed to follow in full the agreement.Working with the Javron fuselage is a pleasure and I have had full back up from Javron even though they have nothing to do with the problem parts.Hope this clarifies the previous letter.

Battson

Welcome to the forum Mr MacC.!

Thanks for clarifying that - it's always tricky trying to play Chinese whispers, sorry if I got some details wrong. Good to hear it directly from you, and glad to hear you're still working on the cub!

Group Builder