• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What's out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spengo

Hello, I've almost got my PPL and I am interested in building a little plane of my own. I would like something that is faster and more acrobatic than the Cessna 150s I've been using and it seems like the cheapest way to do this is to build it yourself. Anyway, I've been googling around and finding some interesting looking stuff, but I'd like the opinions of experienced home builders. I like the look of those Airdrome 3/4th scale WWI clones. (what's the legality of mounting my own weapons on them I wonder... >:] muhuhahaha)

What I am looking for is something sporty that can seat 2 people (for takin girls up of course!). Main use will be weekend joy rides and maybe the occasional cross country trip (cross country not the highest priority though, I don't mind making a few stops to refuel). I don't really have a budget yet, I'm just trying to find out what's out there and what I should start saving for. The plane I am looking at the most right now is an RV-4. I think they look absolutely gorgeous and fit exactly what I want to do.

Also, jets are totally awesome. What little jets are available for under $100k? I saw the thread on the new Sonex thing.

Last edited:
Back