• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What if? - PBY Camper Plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVAN

The HBA Thread: The PBY Is Coming Back has kicked off a number of drift comments on how great it would be to have a PBY inspired plane designed for the mission of being a camper-plane. From scale versions of the PBY to modifications of the Willson Global Explorer, the fantasy plane ideas are plenty. For reference, one such post is appended below.

How about we put our collective minds together and see if we can come up with some requirements for a useable camper-plane? How would such an aircraft be used? Where would you go with it? What logistical requirements are acceptable? What should be the stall speed, cruise speed, range and fuel economy? How many people should it accommodate for extended periods of time, and what about a weekend trip?

Here's my list to kick things off:

- Amphibious, because I want to camp where there is water and because I like swimming
- Stall < 39 knots
- Cruise > 75 knots
- Range > 750 miles and > 350 miles with 4 people and a week's food and water supply onboard
- Must have > 6 foot of standing headroom in at least one place inside the airplane
- Must have a bed for 2 people and something short-term acceptable for 2 more people
- Economy is important. It should be able to do this with affordable propulsion to own and operate.
-- I'll propose a single LS-3 airboat propulsion system. That will deliver 430 Hp for about $20k (New Engine, PSRU and Prop)
- About 35 feet long
- Gross weight, probably around 6000 to 7000 pounds
- A big wing, in the 67 to 74 foot range. Because it's big, it will need to fold for parking so as not to blow away in the wind and to have affordable hangar space.
- Insulated cabin for comfortable camping
- Two long-haul first-class reclining cabin seats, so there's someplace comfortable to relax and that can double as overflow sleeping when necessary
- A kitchenet with refrigerator, stove and sink
- an optional porta-potty and a place to store it
- no shower required (at least not inside the cabin).
- How much fresh water should it be capable of holding for a week of boondocking? Is 25 gallons enough, or should be able to hold 50?
- APU (generator)
- Optional AC

I would mainly use this to fly to lakes and rivers for swimming, freediving and fishing. Most likely, I'd roam from Florida to Alaska and everywhere in between. Exploring the Caribbean might be a treat to sweet to pass up. Visiting the fly-in / airshow circuit would be a good mission as well.

What are you looking for in a camper-plane?

People in Canada, Alaska and in Nordic countries with lot of water would love to have a scale version with lotsa room for overnating and cooking....for 4-5 people with 2 engines. I don't think the top speed has to be even 200 mph.

Cooolest part is the look out window in the butress, abutment, center pod system.....giving chance to stand straight inside in the ½ scale version.

View attachment 153787

Last edited:
Back