• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What am I doing wrong with this Eulers beam buckling calculation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

Skinny beams buckle at a load that is determined by their modulus of elasticity, effective length, and moment of area, not their cross sectional area or compression strength, according to Euler:

Critical Load = (pi squared)(mod of elast)(area moment)/(effective length squared)
and
area moment for this beam is reported as thin width cubed x thick width / 12.

I got those equations from many sites, so hopefully it is correct.

Many sites say the modulus of elasticity for a wood stick I have is
1000 Kg per square mm, or 10 GPa, depending on the site and units. They match.

The column is a simple rectagular, that is 6.4mm x 12.7mm x 60mm tall.

It can pivot on the floor or under a weight, so the effective length is 60mm.

For the moment of area, I got 6.4x6.4x6.4x6.4x12.7/12 = 277 mm4.

So the millimeters should cancel and give me Kg of load capacity. I know from experiment that the load capacity is 3kg. And the column is not warped. Yet Eulers equation gives me 759Kg as the load this could take. That is way above the theoretical compression strength. Even if the weight I put on it is considered free moving, that still is almost 200 Kg Euler says it should carry.

What am I doing wrong? Isn't this supposed to be a simple calculation? I know this beam should be in the Euler's range because it buckles at way less than compression strength.

Back