Waiex versus Sonex Tail Design?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

I watched The Bonanza arrival several years ago at OSH and every V tail had difficulty with alignment in a moderate crosswind compared to the straight tail version, so personally, I prefer the straight tail
That's probably because the v tails are too small or are at the wrong angle. I'm sure you wouldn't like a regular vertical stab that was too small. Just because my first car was a lemon doesn't mean I avoid all station wagons. Now if you're talking certified Bonanzas only, you may have a point.

Did you see any Leeon Davis designs come in?

On models, v-tails that look right are too small. A rule of thumb is that a v-tail should have the same area as conventional tail surfaces.

lr27

BTW, if you tell your search engine to look for Drela tail sizing, you'll find a method for quickly sizing v-tails. Probably on an aircraft with people on board, it would be worth going into more detail.

wktaylor

In the 'for-what-its worth' [repeat?] category...

AC23-9 EVALUATION OF FLIGHT LOADS ON SMALL AIRPLANES WITH T, V, +, OR Y EMPENNAGE CONFIGURATIONS

NOTE.
Most of empennage configurations also benefit from discretely placed dorsal or ventral fin(s) or stabilizer leading-edge extensions/saw-steps ['dog-tooth']… and/or vortex generators.