Wag Aero wing plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

O.Helton

Does anyone know if the short wings in the Wag-a-bon and the Acro-trainer plan sets are the same? Or how similar the short WA wings are to the Vagabon and Pacer's wings.

(I have the Sport Trainer, and 2+2 plan sets.)

Thanks

TFF

I believe the Acro wing is a copy of the Reed mod. More ribs and modified attachments. Reed uses full J3 aileron; spars shorted on the inboard. I think the Pacer has shorter ailerons. Everything is based on the same stuff but arranged different. I have seen what is a homebuilt Clipped Super Cub with Pacer wings. Looked cool without the jury struts, but I would put them on to do basic aerobatics without sweating.

O.Helton

I have somewhat legible J-3 and PA-15 wing plans. From the inboard aileron spar those wings seem identical to me. But there are fewer inboard spars and the spacing is closer on the Vagabond. I don't have Pacer plans but it is my understanding that all factory short wings are the same.

hangarrat101

The wings will be slightly different, I think the Vagabond and Clipper wings are pretty much the same, and maybe the Colt too (less sure about that) but the Pacer wings are different. The ailerons are shorter to make room for the flaps and the fixed section of trailing edge inboard of the flaps is much shorter on the Pacer.

Tiger Tim

the Reed mod. More ribs
I’d be surprised if the true Reed mod had more ribs, IIRC it can be done to a stock J-3 without recovering the wings. Plenty of folks do tighten up rib spacing when clipping their Cub wings since they’re usually re-covering anyways.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’d be surprised if the true Reed mod had more ribs, IIRC it can be done to a stock J-3 without recovering the wings. Plenty of folks do tighten up rib spacing when clipping their Cub wings since they’re usually re-covering anyways.
Yup, no extra ribs in the Reed STC. Budd has an article explaining it here. Untitled Document

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Colt has less ribs that the Pacer or Tri-Pacer and a less Vne.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Like the little metal pint can for a brake fluid reservoir on the firewall of the Cherokee. Get a pint of Poly-fiber fabric glue and you also get a brake reservoir.

Attachments