• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VW Kubota Dynamo or John Deere Alternator Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddK

Supporting Member
I ave been trying to put together a plan for a fairly clean hand prop 2332 VW build. I am leaning hard toward a single ignition magneto. I do have some reservations which leaves me considering a points or pertronix ignition.

The clear choice is the Kubota. Light, powerful.

Most of the time it seems like when a Kubota Dynamo is used, it goes on the top in the rear, and is run off the flywheel end. Leonard Milholland does this his full VWs. He is not a fan of magnetos and has a theory about a magnetos weak spark and VW valve troubles. I don’t want to put it there (too, flywheel end) as it would place it behind the 7 plate type 4 oil cooler I plan on using.

So, I am looking for an alternative.

Has anyone read, or heard of a person mounting the dynamo/alternator on the front (accessory end) and running it off a pulley behind the prop?

Corvair does it that way with the John Deer permanent magnet alternator which I would also be fine to use.

Coupled to the rear crank (flywheel) sort of like SPA (Corvair) does might be possible, though it would prevent the use of a magneto. I have also never heard of it being done on a VW.

If I go forward with this, I would much rather copy someone who has done this before successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: 103
Back