Quantcast

Vortech Engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mstull

Does anyone know anything about Vortech, Inc, in Fallston MD? I was searching for a Kawasaki engine, and found this site: http://www.vortechonline.com/engines/
Are they a legitimate dealer? Do they stand behind their products? I don't like that they just have a BO Box for an address. Have any of you done business with them? How long have they been around?

cjmcarl

Try J- Bird . he sells the Kawasaki 2-cycle aviation engines. they are 1/2 price of rotax ( about $ 2,000 ) , have a TBO of 1000 hours, lighter than a rotax of similar power, and hardley ever have a crank failure. I am re-powering a CHALLENGER 1 cw With a 440C . The replaced engine was a 447 with 42 hours on it but the crank bearings were shot because it sat for 10 years. Stay tuned I hope to have it flying soon. Carl in Virginia Beach.Va.

steve7680768

In a dynafocal mount the axes of the mounting bolts form a pyramid with the CG of the entire propulsion unit (engine+any rigidly attached accessories+prop) at the apex. Bending a plate like in WileEZ 's drawing creates stress risers but it's commonly done that way. A better way is to weld up a frame like on this page but unless you can do some pretty sophisticated analysis it'll probably end up being heavier than the bent plate

mstull

Dennis bought his Kaw 440 through Vortech. The engine came from J-Bird. Vortech was just a middle man. Some people have trouble dealing with J-Bird. So Vortech is a way around that. I don't know if all the engines Vortech advertises come from J-Bird.

Anyway, it seemed like Dennis got what he ordered, and got as good or better deal than if he had ordered directly from J-Bird. I got mine directly from J-Bird.