Video series on TIG welding thin wall aircraft tubing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Maybe you haven’t heard, but I picked up an old Tailwind to rebuild. Right at the moment I’m focused on stripping the dope from the wings and sealing the surface with epoxy resin and deck cloth. One thing I won’t have to do is weld the airframe... I am however welding up some of the control column parts and revised rudder pedals. But I’ve in need of a power source for my Tig no 220 3phase at either my home nor my hanger....
I shouldn’t have quoted your post, that was a mistake. I apologize.

I saw your photos on Facebook I think? Very exciting! Looks like a great project!!!

stolflite

for seasoned eyes this method works well for me. gets the added light right where I'm looking when navigating around a fuselage.
held on for now with velcro seems to do ok

Attachments

jsuhre

@Little Scrapper Just wanted to thank you for making and sharing your videos. I've been working on a Bearhawk 4-place scratch build and went into it knowing that I was lacking many skills that would be required along the way to get it across the finish line. I've found your videos educational and confidence inspiring. I'm currently working on the wings which is for the most part are aluminum work but, knowing that welding is a big gap to fill I was able to pick up a tig welder for christmas and have been working on learning with the help of your series.

Thanks for sharing!

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
@Little Scrapper Just wanted to thank you for making and sharing your videos. I've been working on a Bearhawk 4-place scratch build and went into it knowing that I was lacking many skills that would be required along the way to get it across the finish line. I've found your videos educational and confidence inspiring. I'm currently working on the wings which is for the most part are aluminum work but, knowing that welding is a big gap to fill I was able to pick up a tig welder for christmas and have been working on learning with the help of your series.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for taking the time to write such kind words. We are a small group and it’s great to hear you’re working on a project. One bite at a time my friend.

TLAR

Stolflite
I am an experienced 4130 fuselage builder don’t hesitate to ask me a question
If you prefer use PM
👌

fwilly

This thread got me started on learning tig. So far its been pretty frustrating. I wasted a lot of time trying to weld with a pedal that was poorly assembled. After I took it apart and adjusted the linear resistor linkage so that it would go all the way down to the machines minimum, I had my first success at not poking holes in sheet metal.

Today I started making tubes out of 22g sheet metal and coping/ welding them together. At first, it seemed to work totally different than flat sheet, but then I found a kink in my argon line in between the tank and my machine (first pic is from trying to weld in this condition). After I straitened it, I had a lot more fun. I know its ugly, but I'm happy to make it around a tube without burning a hole(second pic) :) If I can improve on this, I may order some tubing for a Legal Eagle...

Thanks for the thread and videos!!

Attachments

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don’t have my glasses with me right now so can’t see but here’s the deal.

People who don’t start never get good. And everyone starts horribly, got pay that starter tax.

You’re gonna do just fine as long as you keep at it. By the way, I have a full series on building a Legal Eagle fuselage.

TFF

Looks like normal beginner welds. You pretty much will see improvement while you build. You may end up redoing some of the first, but solid is solid; that is job one.