• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VG's and NACA Vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

In the latest issue of Kitplanes ( 12-2015) there is a good article by David G. Ullman titled " Using Vortex Generators to Enhance Pusher Aircraft".
He was working on engine cooling for his Velocity using NACA vents.
Back in about 1981 or so, I needed more cockpit air and installed NACA vents on the side below the front of the windshield on my Falconar F-12. Worked great, had an abundance of air. When building my little Single Seat Super Cub, (SSSC), I decided to put NACA vents to feed the oil cooler. Had a vent on each side of the cowl behind the nose bowl. Used two 1 1/2" dia scat tubing to the oil cooler box. Got very little airflow. So I moved the air pickup to the rear of the Cub type cylinder heat air scoops. Went to 2- 2" scat tubes. Worked almost to good. Oil temps are almost to cool. Now, if the OAT is 70 or below, I disconnect one of the scat tubes to keep the oil temp up. Another unexpected change was the CHT went down 10 degs.
I wonder what the outcome would have been if I had tried using Vortex Generators like Mr. Ullman did on his Velocity.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0016.jpg
    DSCF0016.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 84
Back