• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vans RV-9 vs Zenith Zodiac XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeSteve

Hello All!!
I am sure you have all heard the same questions over and over again!

I am currently in the process of working on my private pilots license.
I know its gonna take a bit more time to get, but after I get it, then what do I do? I was looking at building a plane and have a couple of reasons for it.

I live in the Las Vegas area and my main hobby is SkyDiving. The jumping here in LV is kinda weak (understatement). There are several great DZ's that are approx 350 miles away (driving distance). I am going for my pilots license for the primary reason of jumping (NOT out of the plane that I am flying).

I am 6'-2" and about 225-228 lbs. I want to be able to carry my skydiving gear with me (approx 50-100 lbs.) plus a change of clothes and sleeping bag. I think it would be great from time to time to have another person fly with me that is probably my size or smaller...in case a buddy wants to come (Say another 180-200lbs)... girlfriend is pretty small, so that's not a big issue.

I want the plane to be fairly quick (at least 125-150 mph at cruise speed) so that I dont have to spend forever in the plane, but it will be comfortable enough for a 2 1/2 - 3 hr flight.

I am looking for something that is fairly easy to assemble (for a novice). I will probably NOT do a quick build just to save some cash....

There are 2 planes I was looking at.
The Vans RV-9 or the Zenith Zodiac XL.

I have been looking at the specs of both of these planes and they seem very comparable in terms of size, engine capacity and cruising speed is much slower on the Zodiac. It sounds like the Zodiac is easier to assemble that the RV9.

What is everyone's take here? Any ideas? Do you recommend any other planes that are under the 17-18k mark for just the plane (no avionics or engine).

Thanks!
Stephen

Back