UN hails end of poisonous leaded gas use in cars worldwide

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Seems it's just us now.

BERLIN (AP) — Leaded gasoline has finally reached the end of the road, the U.N. environment office said Monday, after the last country in the world halted the sale of the highly toxic fuel. Algeria stopped providing leaded gas last month, prompting the U.N. Environment Agency to declare the “official end” of its use in cars, which has been blamed for a wide range of human health problems.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Seems it's just us now.

BERLIN (AP) — Leaded gasoline has finally reached the end of the road, the U.N. environment office said Monday, after the last country in the world halted the sale of the highly toxic fuel. Algeria stopped providing leaded gas last month, prompting the U.N. Environment Agency to declare the “official end” of its use in cars, which has been blamed for a wide range of human health problems.
"Us?" You mean piston aircraft virtually everywhere in the developed world?

Leaded fuel is certainly an environmental issue, but there's no way the amount of TEL used in aircraft fuel is comparable to the amount we formerly put into our cars.

Geraldc

Question for the experts.
Why do airplanes still need lead in the petrol?

Dan Thomas

Question for the experts.
Why do airplanes still need lead in the petrol?
1. It controls detonation by raising octane ratings. Modern Mogas technology does it in other ways, but getting the rating up to 100 costs more money that way.
2. The lead lubricates the valves and valve seats in older engines. Modern auto engines use different, wear-resistant alloys in those places. I believe current aircraft engine production is using those alloys as well.

Still, there are plenty of older engines that were designed for fuels with octane ratings as low as 73. Mogas runs fine in most of them, but some increased valve wear should be expected. I wonder if adding a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to Mogas might help with that?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Makes me wonder if these folks even look at their own advocacy initiatives before opening their mouths.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the successful abolition of leaded gas, like the ban on ozone-depleting chemicals, showed the impact that international treaties could have on addressing environmental issues.
They haven't eliminated ozone depleting chemicals. And the Antarctic hole in the ozone layer reached it's biggest size on record last year even after they supposedly reduced them. Sorry, but I don't believe a single word coming out of the UN anymore.

Last edited:

sotaro

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
And shockingly enough, they don't release the study itself. Gasp! This isn't a health issue. It's a political issue. Where is the link to the airport? Why do the other studies cite air quality, and not ground water as this story alleges? It's all a lie. Soooooo glad I don't live in Kalifornia anymore.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
What's the status on an unleaded "100LL" drop-in replacement? I thought I'd heard that there had been a breakthrough or at least a big advancement in the state of the art?

TFF

There hasn’t been any road leaded gas in the US since the mid 90s. The UK is 30 years late.

rv6ejguy

What's the status on an unleaded "100LL" drop-in replacement? I thought I'd heard that there had been a breakthrough or at least a big advancement in the state of the art?
There is a good thread on VAF discussing UL avgas and PAFI. Seems the FAA has re-set the fuel spec recently as none of the original participants could meet the same 100LL spec for a universal drop in fuel and all apparently officially dropped out of the program to pursue STCs instead. GAMI and Swift already have some STCs for the lower hp naturally aspirated engines.

It seems as though Swift and GAMI are still working with the FAA from outside PAFI perhaps. Lyondell appears to be a leading contender now too. Hard to say what's going on at this time and how it will all play out.

JMyers1

G100LL was approved and is positioned to completely replace 100LL. Its being done via STCs and the FAA has asked them to slow roll the approvals to get manufacturing up to speed and not cause chaos. Probably be a few years yet, they will be starting with the high volume trainers first.

At some point it will not make sense for the one refiner still (legally) making TEL to do so and once they shutdown that everyone will be using G100UL, unless Swift or someone else pulls a rabbit out of their hat.

JMyers1

"Us?" You mean piston aircraft virtually everywhere in the developed world?

Leaded fuel is certainly an environmental issue, but there's no way the amount of TEL used in aircraft fuel is comparable to the amount we formerly put into our cars.
I think he meant just that, and the second point is the only reason it’s still legal.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
They haven't eliminated ozone depleting chemicals. And the Antarctic hole in the ozone layer reached it's biggest size on record last year even after they supposedly reduced them.
Without making any political claims about the validity of UN statements, this article:

does not support your position, and states:

Where 2020’s ozone hole ranks
The year 2020 will go down as having the twelfth-largest ozone hole by area in 40 years of satellite records, with the fourteenth-lowest amount of ozone in 33 years of balloon-borne instrumental measurements, the scientists said. Ongoing declines in levels of ozone-depleting chemicals controlled by the Montreal Protocol prevented the hole from being as large as it would have been under the same weather conditions decades ago.​

These are not indicative of "biggest size on record".

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Aha. Largest by time (longest lasting), not largest by area. We're both right :).

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'm aware of that, but the pressure will rise to get rid of it for good, even for us using piston planes. The way I see it, it's just a matter of time.
No doubt. And it will be good news if the new fuel works well and the price is reasonable (and "reasonable", IMO, doesn't necessarily mean "not any higher than 100LL." )

My own plan is to quit burning straight 100LL and start using primarily 90 octane mogas now that I can conveniently get the stuff without ethanol. I may need to mix in some 100LL to avoid detonation. Probably add some MMO because Pops believes in it. My VW doesn't need the lead and it makes a mess of the heads.