Quantcast

For Sale Ultralight Parasol J-4 Sportster 95% RTF

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Got two airplanes recently, decided to keep the more difficult one (fits my mission better) and sell the one that is possibly more desirable to somebody (who wants a Part 103 legal ride but also wants a real steel tube airplane).

This is a Jesse Anglin / Hipp's Superbirds J-3 Kitten that has been converted to the later model J-4 Sportster. The Kitten was a little mini-Cub looking cabin monoplane, and the Sportster is the same airplane converted to an open parasol. It is a traditional steel tube fuselage and tail, and a tradittional all-wood "built up" wing. Wood spars, stick ribs. Covered in stewart Systems, Cub yellow. Paint is 6.5 to 7.5 out of 10 depending on your preference.

This one has been done as a "bobber" style, without the turtledeck and an open rear fuselage. It looks very similar to the Legal Eagle and would definitely meet the same mission and usage.

It can be converted back to the original Sportster look (very reminiscent of a Baby Ace) by building a light wood turtledeck and covering the rear fuselage. But it's really cool the way it is now as a bobber.

It has a Rotax 277 engine, wood propeller, hydraulic brakes, and instruments. All the systems need to be cleaned up, "gone through", and IRAN.

The J-3 to J-4 conversion is 80-90% complete. It still needs the following tasks completed:

Finish converting the aileron control system over from J-3 to J-4. This may take a little welding, and definitely a different cable routing. Not a huge project but not a lazy afternoon either.

Weld on new steel wing root attachment bolt tabs to the upper cabane and keel tube assembly. The way they started to do it was ill-advised and does not match the J-4 design change. Not a biggie, just fabricate and weld. new tabs over the existing steel fitting.

Mount the fuel tank and route the fuel hoses, valves, filter, etc.

I'd put better quality wheels on it that are lighter and more aircraft-ish.

It is up on Barnstormers now for 7500, and yes HBA people will do a little better on price. However, this is a somewhat rare and desirable airplane. A real old-school steel tube and fabric airplane with full 3 axis control that actually meets Part 103. It is not going to be sold at a give-away price.

HAS cowlings, tails, ailerons, etc. that are not in the photos. No AWC, N number, or paperwork.

DSC00461.JPG DSC00466.JPG DSC00469.JPG DSC00470.JPG DSC00476.JPG DSC00481.JPG DSC00484.JPG DSC00490.JPG

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I'm bumping this thread back into circulation for a couple of reasons. First, I want your money. Mostly so I can finish another aircraft project... but even if I didn't have to finish that, I'd still want your money.

Second, I finally got the photo documentation that I had been looking for, which will allow completion of the one remaining structural part of the conversion from J-3 Kitten to J-4 Sportster (or Legal Eagle replica). I went to see a factory J-4 fuselage, and documented the main wing attach fitting. It's a siimple piece of 4130 sheet as I had guessed, but having the photos of a "real one" makes it a lot easier to fabricate this piece. Actually, welding on a plate to the existing (not original) fitting will be a lot easier and even a little stronger, with a lot less work. It will add less than a pound to the airplane.

The price has also been lowered to $5000 firm.

So anyone who has been interested in the Legal Eagle, take a look at this particular J-3/J-4 conversion, it's pretty darn close to a LE.

And here is a photo showing what the original J-4 Sportster wing attach fitting looks like, which you can compare to the photo in the original psot above:

DSC00493.JPG

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
BUMP (actually bumped with a battering ram)

My "Legal Eagle clone" (a J-3 Kitten coverted to a J-4 Sportster) has gots to go. See photos and info above. We just found out that the new owner of the airport where it is being stored has flip-flopped again, and now the airport has to be cleared out - I guess because because he's selling the land.

So I'm losing my space in a hangar (which HBA member SteveL has at that airport... thank you Steve, you've been very generous). Located at Brian Ranch Airport, 15 miles east of Palmdale, CA, just off of Highway 138. Excellent paved road/highway access for trailers, less than an hour from Interstate 15, Interstate 10, or Interstate 5

Which means YOU get to be the moustache-twirling, advantage-taking, evil villain that buys this for a lot less than it ought to be worth. Price lowered to $4000 if you send me the money, arrange your transportation, and come get it from where it is before the end of October.

If I can't find a buyer for this at $4000, it will simply be hung in my garage, above the wife's car, which will result in a moderate case of her annoyance, which will result in a Brooklyn NY girl calling her "connected" uncle... and quite possibly resulting in my being loaded into a wood chipper.

Seriously, how many times in your life will you be able to act like the great Snidely Whiplash, or the one and only Dick Dastardly... and take advantage of some poor impoverished airport bum like this?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
She told me not to get her any more Uggs for her birthday. That was a go-to gift for a few years because she loved them.

This year, I think her birthday present should be a brand new Aircraft Spruce catalog.

Anyone here got a 'blunt force trauma' response kit handy?