Uavionix-Garmin Patent Settlement

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by proppastie, Oct 31, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 31, 2019 #1

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

2. Oct 31, 2019 #2

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I appears that I'm safe buying that uAvionix ADS-B system now! I was nearly sure the big dog was gonna run them out of the yard but it appears it didn't work out like they planned ... :p

Dale
    N319WF

3. Oct 31, 2019 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I looked at the uAvionix tail beacon web page again to verify something. I originally thought they had said it would work with any Mode C or Mode S transponder, even my old antique KT-76.

Then, one of my local airport bums came by and gave me the bad news that it needs to be a Mode S transponder for the uAvionix widget to work. I was disappointed because that meant I needed to spend a lot more money.

To my pleasant surprise, the uAvionix website verified (yesterday at least) that it would work with any TXP, even my old Dinosaur KT-76.

So.... later this year, I am very pleased to report that Santa Claus will likely be making a stop by their facility on his jolly way to my house :)

Holy Compliance, Batman !
    OR;
    Perhaps the Jackson 5 will re-unite and be singing Christmas Carols outside my door...
    "ADS-B -- As easy as 1, 2, 3, -- We gonna fly legally, you will see -- You and me, with ADS-B !"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Mcmark likes this.
  4. Oct 31, 2019 #4

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

make sure when you see him again to say something....he probably will say "I never said that".

5. Oct 31, 2019 #5

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Ahhh, I see you've met all of my airport bum friends already...

6. Oct 31, 2019 #6

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Yep ... as you found out the local airport expert was not correct ... but I shouldn't be too tough on anybody as I thought one time I was wrong but it turns out I was merely mistaken. :rolleyes:

I looked at the tail beacon close and really considered it. I'd have to remove my rear fiberglass tail tip on the rudder and fashion a socket into it but that and a couple of wires would be easy enough. But now I'm really considering the UAVIONIX Echouat with SKYFYX-EXT Bundle:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/uavionix11-15210.php

Not only is this set up cheaper but you also get ADS-B "in" that will work on most electronic flight equipment (GPS & tablet devices) to display traffic & weather. It does require mounting a couple of small antennas but in my airplane that would be quite easy to do. With the tail beacon I'd have to continue to use my Stratux unit, which works very well, but losing it would save a little weight.

Decisions to be made ...

Dale
    N319WF