• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Turbocharging my Corvair Saberwing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Clapp

Yesterday we did our first flight test with the Turbo Spyder 120 engine on our Saberwing. Preliminary numbers are we are developing 30" of MAP at 3200 RPM at 3/4 throttle. Rajay 300 series turbo. No wastegate. 8.5:1 compression ratio on 3.0 L Corvair. Uneventful flight test up to 4000 feet. Flew around at 25 and 30 " and played with fuel mixture mostly. CHTs never got over 325 degrees. Seems carb is set a little rich still. 30" at 4000 feet (6000 DA) showed 175 indicated. I still feel I have to make some adjustments to timing as I have it set at 24 degrees max right now. I will be doing some carb changes and improve on the cool air intake. There are some pics and videos on our facebook page. azaleaaviation.com. As testing proceeds will will finish our package for our 120 engine kits.
I would love some experienced feedback on any testing in this arena that folks have done. My goal is a very simple turbo package that we can use reliably.
Having fun in testing...pics to come
Bill

Back