Turbo squid 3D Models

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Staggermania, Jan 17, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 17, 2020 #1

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Found this site earlier, wondering if anyone has experience with them?

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-propellers-rockwell-ov-10-bronco/1140346

I was wondering if these models could be loaded into cad for design/engineering? Looks like Would like to build maybe 3/4 scale OV-10, and if so would save a lot of time, rather than having to loft the whole aircraft.
    I am currently learning Solidworks.

Thanks

2. Jan 17, 2020 #2

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

These are not engineering models and the "artists" are of varying levels of fidelity to the original source. And expensive. If you bring something like this into SW it might or might not be a dumb lump. But you can use that as a basis for the design.

Have you tried GrabCAD? Quite a bunch of good stuff there all crowd/open source. Many project people posting actual geometry up there.

cheapracer likes this.
  3. Jan 17, 2020 #3

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

Found a solidworks model on grabcad, but my solidworks crashes everytime it starts to read the model file.

4. Jan 17, 2020 #4

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Could be memory or it could be that there are educational version features.

5. Jan 18, 2020 #5

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

The problem with these is how does one know its right?
    Even if the data source is reliable was the creating process.
    I have a 3d scan of 737-300 freight, I still not sure how accurate it is, simply because the aircraft was outside when it was scanned (and it was mildly windy), so it maybe accurate to the nearest inch, probably more accurate the closer one gets to the center. But that's a lot of guessing if one wants to invest lots of time using the model for something.

6. Jan 18, 2020 #6

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

I think that is a good point. I think, however, that, with the exception of the airfoils, close is probably good enough.
    I think symmetry is pretty important, so that would need to be checked.
    I think that as a starting point, one of these models could work. Once in the computer, it can be engineered and manipulated and tweaked.

7. Jan 18, 2020 #7

lr27

lr27

lr27

Isn't the important part whether it looks right? I think a 3/4 OV-10 with upright seating would have to have some significant deviations from scale anyway. Having said that, it's probably worth reviewing several CAD models.

8. Jan 18, 2020 #8

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Are you trying to open them, or are you importing them? I am not familiar with Solidworks, but most I am familiar with are far more successful importing the models, even when it's apparently the correct format.

What does Solidworks offer you that say Blender doesn't for free?

9. Jan 18, 2020 #9

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

I am trying to open the 3D Solidworks model downloaded from Grabcad.

I don’t know about Blender, but I have the Solidworks student addition through East.

10. Jan 18, 2020 #10

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

You cannot open newer solidworks versions in a older version. It will just tell you you need to contact tech support. There may be limitations on educational versions. Older models normally open OK in newer versions but sometimes not. If you just want the OML then find a way to save it as a .STP file or whatever neutral format works and use the shape as a basis to build new features. You can section and measure even surface models to size things. Do it all the time. You can also just find JPG of a 3 view drawing and just use it as a basis for design by tracing outlines with new sketches to start the design. Do that all the time as well. Working on an early Bonanza right now... just cause I am not happy with anything I could find in any CAD library and I might have one to measure and/or scan.

11. Jan 18, 2020 #11

lr27

lr27

lr27

How old is your copy of Solidworks? What file formats are you supposed to be able to use? If I understand its limitations, I might be able to translate the file into something you can use. Obviously I'm not going to shell out $74, though.

Grabcad has two OV-10 models which appear to be for scale model airplanes. I seem to recall that Solidworks has some sort of CAD library associated with it as well. Libraries that have hardware in them are handy.

One advantage of Solidworks is that it's quite popular, so many vendors will have it and there will be fewer file translation problems.

12. Jan 18, 2020 #12

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

I have the 2019-2020 version. The file from grabcad looks like an stp file? It’s the ov-10a bronco file. I don’t believe it has any limitations.

13. Jan 18, 2020 #13

lr27

lr27

lr27

You can import a step file, can't you? If not, I could probably export to something you can use, assuming the gremlins of translation allow it.
    Keep in mind that scale models often have simplified features or modifications to make them fly better.

14. Jan 19, 2020 #14

Staggermania

Staggermania

Staggermania

Hephaestus likes this.