turbo installation ?s

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

brad.walker

There doesn't seem to be a big market/aftermarket for turbochargers on aircraft engines. I completely understand the paper can be difficult and the costs quite a lot.

But, it does seem as though the automotive technology, i.e. Garrett and others, has really make some great strides in turbochargers.

Can someone point me to anyone who might have done an aftermarket turbo installation. Or maybe a company that is actively doing turbo installation. A lot of the companies that once did this, like M-20 or Rayjay, are in a sort of "hibernation" mode. If they even do it anymore.

Thanks for the insight and help.

-brad w.

dog

There doesn't seem to be a big market/aftermarket for turbochargers on aircraft engines. I completely understand the paper can be difficult and the costs quite a lot.

But, it does seem as though the automotive technology, i.e. Garrett and others, has really make some great strides in turbochargers.

Can someone point me to anyone who might have done an aftermarket turbo installation. Or maybe a company that is actively doing turbo installation. A lot of the companies that once did this, like M-20 or Rayjay, are in a sort of "hibernation" mode. If they even do it anymore.

Thanks for the insight and help.

-brad w.
By the time the right combination of pistons,rings,conecting rods,valves,cam,piston cooling,boost control,has been figured out for
a given engine platform,then onto real world in
an airframe testing,uh no.
Its just easier to design your airframe around an existing turbo motor and work with its known limitations.
If all you want is a couple pounds of boost and
no more than go for it,but then breaking even on weight might be hard and you have decide how much you need a badge on the side that says turbo.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Please do yourself a favor and use the advanced search tool to see if we already have threads on the topic you are interested in. Chances are really good some of the topic has already been covered, you will then know the capable folks, and your new thread can then focus on what you have in mind...

I typed "turbocharging" and got 10 pages of posts (between 180 and 200 posts).

Bill

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
I've done several installations on aircraft and assisted many other builders select turbos and associated hardware for their Experimental projects. Been flying my turbo Subaru for many years now.

Daleandee

Can someone point me to anyone who might have done an aftermarket turbo installation. Or maybe a company that is actively doing turbo installation.
I'm certain you are aware that Sonex has added a turbo to their VW engines. Some claim success but methinks the jury is still out on that one.

I was reading about the new Ford Ranger and I had it in consideration as a possible replacement vehicle. The only engine choice is the 2.3 turbo or as Ford says "Ecoboost" in the new Ranger truck. Ford may have a better shot at getting longevity from turbos but they can be problematic. Many pilots on POA have cautioned about the costs and concerns with turbos in aircraft.

As for me, I'm not anti-turbo but I'm in the camp that says, "there's no replacement for displacement." In the case with Sonex, IMHO, by the time they added the turbo and the cooling system for the turbo and the additional oil filters, lines, coolers, and hoses they were at a weight where a builder could have just added a larger engine and had a simpler installation and more power with reliability.

Of course turbos can do things at altitude that are desirable so there is that ...

PMD

What is going to become very interesting is the switch from SI gassers to CI diesels. While turbochargers can fix some of the shortcomings of SI engines, they are VITAL to getting diesels to do their thing. All I can say is to watch what is going on with the latest SI turbo developments and let your mind wander into the possibilites of those technologies in a JetA burning airplane. As the song goes: "The best is yet to come".