Quantcast

Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly-In 9/6-9/10/17

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

billyvray

A buddy and I are heading over to South Carolina for the Triple Tree Fly-in. We are going to be in a motor home and bringing the kids to camp, but hope to be set up watching airplanes for a day or two.

Supposed to be a pretty good little event.

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/

Bill in GA

Daleandee

A buddy and I are heading over to South Carolina for the Triple Tree Fly-in. We are going to be in a motor home and bringing the kids to camp, but hope to be set up watching airplanes for a day or two.
Bill,

I have my aircraft fueled and loaded to leave in the morning and park with the Sonex guys but it seems that Irma has changed my plans.

Besides my work needing us to prepare schools for shelters for two counties, I live here where we are (at least for now) expecting to receive a good dose of this coming storm and I really need to be here to help prepare and make plans for the safety of the family.

I'm a bit disappointed at this turn of events but some things are much more important than others. You should have a great time!

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
155.1 hours / Status - Flying

choppergirl

Banned
Does it cost anything to get in or go to the workshops? This from the FAQ kind of sounds hostile: "You must be an AMA member, a member of an aviation related organization (Civil Air Patrol, EAA, NBAA, AOPA, any aircraft type club, etc) or a licensed general aviation pilot to attend Triple Tree events."

Don't think I fit any of that criteria unless I make my own club. If I can go, I might go on motorbike, depends on what Hurricane Irma is doing in that area on that day.

According to the forecast map it's still going to be just north of Cuba (but otherwise that black line projected path is headed right for Woodruff, SC).

Maybe all the planes and campers will be out of Dodge by then...

Last edited:

Direct C51

In the past, anyone has been able to attend the workshops. They are not free. Someone has to pay for the materials for the workshops. That person is you. They make no profit off of this. They are a very rough introduction to the building techniques. Nothing compared to the EAA Sport Air Workshops, which are quite expensive.

choppergirl

Banned
I messaged the guy giving the workshop and got this cryptic reply:

Me: "Is there any charge to attend this? Doesn't say so. Just making sure as it's a 3 hour drive for me."

Them: "No problem, we will be there. The tent will be behind the work shop area."

So I'm thinking, no. Not exactly hands on, so I don't think you buy or bring your own materials, *with the exception of the hands on limited seating RSVP rivet workshop* which specifically mentions it in the workshop flyer text, and how much the kit cost if you buy it direct from ASpruce or through them.

Not expecting much, just a crash course intro as a spectator/observer. By free I meant free to the public to attend, not free as in it costs nothing to put on. ;-)

Direct C51

I was referring to the rivet and composite workshops. You build a toolbox which is actually the Vans kit, or a small wing profile for the composite workshop. Those cost a little because of the material. As far as admission in to the event, it is not free either, and I believe you do have to be a pilot, belong to AOPA, EAA, etc, or be a guest of someone who is. I assume this is because it is a gathering of pilots and aviation enthusiasts, and not an air show for the general public to drive up and spectate.

choppergirl

Banned
Found it: http://my.mediasation.com/tripletreeaerodrome.com/ttaflyin-pricing-check-in.php

$15 admission + $10 gas + driving = not worth it. I can go to my local airport and look at airplanes, talk to people, watch EAA self help videos or youtube for free. Local fly-in is the 16th and is just as clicy but free for the public, I'll go to that instead. To each their own. Have fun.

I could save them $3600/mo in mower gas just by telling them to plant centipede :-/ Stuff is short, native to the area, looks great, and takes over other grass. If you're spending $3600 to mow grass you're doing something wrong. Our Pecan Orchards are as big as TT and it costs less $20/mo in gas to keep them mowed. Put it in the tank, not pour it on the grass. DOFF.

"All Spectators MUST be a Current member of EAA, AOPA, AMA, any Full Scale Flying Organization, possess a Full Scale Pilot's License or be a guest of the aforementioned! Your Host must be at the gate when you purchase your tickets. "

According to their admission requirements, they wouldn't let my grandfather in either, who was a WW2 fighter pilot, or my dad who was an air traffic controller and former pilot. Pass....

Last edited:

choppergirl

Banned
Not offended, they can charge what they want to charge, and I can choose whether I or not I want to go

If I were to land a Corsair at their airport like in the picture, and dude walked out to me and demanded $15, I'd tell him hold on, it's back in my plane, let me go get it, and take off. When he called on the radio that I still owed him $15 for landing at his airport, I'd reply back "Molon labe"...

If the workshop is free, and to get in is $15, I'd simply rearrange the math in my head to justify it to myself, and say to myself the entrance is free, and the little fabric covering workshop is $15, so it's worth it to me, and go anyway and be happy to pay. But if I leave at 6am and drive 3 hours in the dark and cold on a motorbike only to be turned away at the front door, and have to drive back home empty handed simply because I'm not a member of some flying club clic, then from my point of view, it's not worth the risk.

Since they won't even let me in the front door according to their entrance rules, or probably half the people on this board who might not meet them, it's academic. I'll just go work on my barn to hanger conversion instead alone. Going to a fabric covering mini-workshop would of been helpful, because eventually I'm going to have to cover this plane in my living room.

From Page 1:

As Pat got more and more involved in both sides of aviation, he went to a lot of flyins and model meets, and he wasn’t very encouraged by what he found.

Triple Tree Founder: "Being a younger person at that time, you got booted around … The people were interested only in the adults, and … the more affluent … They just weren’t nice to the young people.”

“I wanted to belong tremendously. I really would have loved to have been invited … but that never happened.” Based on that feeling, that sense of exclusion, when Pat started thinking of hosting his own events, he made a promise, one that he’s kept for decades, to everyone’s benefit. “I swore then, if we could do it, we would first not be bossy, secondly we’d welcome everybody … doing it with the right attitude,” he said.
Maybe the decades ran out?

You know in WWF, where one wrestler picks up another wrestler, and slams them on their back to the mat. Yeah. I just did that. :) Here's my hand, get back up.

Anyone, feel free to forward this thread to Pat.

Last edited:

Direct C51

Wow, so these guys organize an amazing event with probably close to 1000 airplanes that show up, with nice restrooms, and a beautiful runway, and you are offended that they want to charge $15?

By the way, have you ever seen a centipede runway? Neither have I. Once again you think you know better than everyone else and really have no clue.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It seems rather more than just $15. Rather extreme entry qualifications for a spectator it seems to me. From website-
"All Spectators MUST be a Current member of EAA, AOPA, AMA, any Full Scale Flying Organization, possess a Full Scale Pilot's License or be a guest of the aforementioned! Your Host must be at the gate when you purchase your tickets. "

I never heard of any such requirement such as this of spectators.
For R/C pilots that want to fly, yes. But spectators?

Last edited:

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
It seems rather more than just $15. Rather extreme entry qualifications for a spectator it seems to me. From website-

I never heard of any such requirement such as this of spectators.
For R/C pilots that want to fly, yes. But spectators?
I greatly appreciate their approach. It is the one fly-in where you don't have to worry about some yahoo using your horizontal stabilizer as a baby changing table or an elevated platform for a photo opportunity. Oshkosh, at least the flightline, used to use a similar approach.

Reactions: BJC

Raceair

Its a free country. The runway at Triple Tree is the best in the entire southeast USA, and the way they take care of it is expensive. ...However, going there may not be for everybody, year after year. But the best , most diverse collection of airplanes at one place that looks like a golf course, I find it well worth 15 bucks to get in, and I am by no means wealthy. If people don't like the terms, they can see the pictures on the internet next week.

ScaleBirdsScott

Nothing wrong with a 'by pilots for pilots' approach. It's an airport not a grocery store parking lot rally. The tone of the rules is, from some kind of marketing standpoint, not optimal; but for the crowd they want to attract they are likely no problem.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My wife and I and my daughter and her husband had a fly-in, drive-in cookout at my home on the 3100' grass airfield two times a year on Saturdays for about 8 years. Usually have about 200 people and lots of airplanes . No cost, food and everthing was free, had activity for the smaller children, antique cars, and airplanes and homebuilts. Aircraft flew in from several states. Room for campers, and parking. Also large tent with live music, free airplane rides, etc. Non fliers welcome as anyone else. For people arriving on Friday we had a bonfire and hotdog, pizza , etc Friday night. Most campers stayed until Sunday.
Lots of work.

Raceair

Lots of work....and lots of Liability. I did it at my own strip for several years in Ohio, guess I just burned out from all the work.

billyvray

Neat little flyin. Gorgeous location and airstrip - and Long!
We paid the price. Takes money to host this well. The bathhouses are the THE best I've ever seen.
We parked next to a little river under oak trees. We ran a small ultra-quiet Honda generator as needed.
Yesterday we walked and looked at all the planes. There were some really nice examples of every facet of aviation.
My faves: a Cozy (on a grass strip!), a sonex, a Cessna 195 mirror polished, a nice Bucker Jungmann, and a little Preceptor based high with with a 2180vw that was plain Jane but the guy flies it everywhere. And of course the Beech 18s!

After lunch we sat in the shade at our camp, drank beers, and watched takeoff X and landing and flybys from Cubs to Dc3 to a Cessna Citation.

Felt a little slow but likely due to impending weather.
Super nice people everywhere. Gold carts nd buses to help people move around.

It you are flying it's a no brainier, or if within a couple hour drive. Ours was longer so it's not quite worth it but I'd recommend for those a little closer.

Bill

Latest posts