• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tricycle Gear Load Distribution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b52strato34

Hey, everybody. Been on this site for awhile, but this is my first post.

I'm currently working on a low-wing, tractor configuration, single-place, single-engine, light sport aircraft. Estimated takeoff weight is 715 lbm.

A requirement of this design is the option for either tricycle gear or conventional gear. Now I know Raymer says in his books that landing gear design will ruin a layout more than anything, but I'm not sure he was exactly talking about fixed steel spring gear on light sport aircraft. Anyways, I'm having a very hard time getting anything less than about 29% of the static loading on the nose gear. I'm aware of similar aircraft that have about 25-26% of the static load on the nose gear, but I don't feel great about having closer to 30% of the load on it. I originally desired a steerable nose gear on the tricycle configuration, however, because I need to position the nose wheel so far forward, I think I'm going to need to go with a Vans RV-X or Cirrus style castering nosewheel.

I just wanted to hear from some other designers on this topic. Have you experienced similar issues? Is that 29-30% out of the question? I absolutely do not want this design to be susceptible to ground loops, and that's what most concerns me on this.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Back