Torpedos with Wings - race plane

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Starman, Mar 14, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 16, 2014 #221

delta

delta

delta

Sorry for the late response as I've been out of town and without internet for a week. Bending the tips down for the gear would make it a handful in the wind it looks like to me. This one would probably do better with an long easy type gear.

Attached Files:

2. Apr 16, 2014 #222

delta

delta

delta

There's a problem with a prop in the back in terms of interference with the control surfaces. If you loose the duct you'd have to go counter rotating to eliminate a potentially deadly situation. This guy kind of excites me. It's like a para suit on steroids. It'd be a wild ride with my mz202 on the nose, but potentially fast and fun.

Attached Files:

• jfs.jpg
      jfs.jpg
      File size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
    Starman likes this.
  3. May 25, 2014 #223

Starman

Starman

Starman

I found a sketch of the supersonic fan I made. 42" dia. and for 5000 RPM.

Blades were 16 ga stainless steel with a back up doubler on the root of 14 ga stainless, fuse welded to each other around the outer edges only. Before fusing, the blades were rolled to get the airfoil shape and provide the twist at the same time. The outer leading edges were sharpened with a grinder.

Blades were attached with rivets to a piece of 1/4" stainless bent into an angle, and these angles were bolted to an 18" diameter hub that was made from a single piece of 3/4" thick solid T1 high strength steel.

The straight lines on the end view of the blades arent' really there, they are just to show how the rolling also provides the blade twist.

Attached Files:

4. May 25, 2014 #224

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

You might want to invert the rudder to serve as the holder for the rear gear in a tail-drager setup so it can act as a prop guard. The mains, I'd make them retractable because they will also need to be rather long. The big sticking point for push-pull setups has always been the need to keep both ends well clear of the ground.

5. Sep 18, 2019 #225

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100