• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Time for a proper introduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC227

Greetings,

My name is Paul. I'm an airplane junky and I'm here for a fix.

Seriously, I've had a long standing interest in building a flying machine. I worked with a gentleman once that built a TEAM miniMax. This was back in the early '90's.

I've been loosely following the changes in the rules with Sport Pilot and LSA, etc. I've soloed twice for private pilot, with 27 hours in my logbook (I think) but haven't flown in 15 years.

So here I am. I've considered many type of construction (wood, welded steel and gusseted aluminum) and I believe I could do them all (with some guidance).

I love biplanes but I'm unsure on where I could store one. I understand that this can be expensive.

Another attractive option is the Legal Eagle. But it only has one seat and I want to share the experience. Of course, there's the Double Eagle.

So I guess my first question is:

Should I build what I really want (a two seat biplane) and worry about storage when I get that far or should I settle for monoplane with a detachable wing or wing folding design?

If storage is a big issue, then I also have an interest in STOL aircraft such as Roger Mann's Stork.

I'll have to pay as I go so I will probably build from plans although the partial kits are attractive.

So, thanks for the forum and the advice.

Paul

Back