• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on making complete faired strut/cuff assemblies in a split female mold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowlove

Supporting Member
Screenshot from 2017-11-13 11-56-59.jpgThe 3/8" OD tensioned strut tubes for the tail feathers of my plane are directly behind the pusher prop, and the pattern of exhaust grime makes it clear there's vortex madness going on all around back there. I've somehow got it in my head that I'm going to see amazing improvements in every flight regime, from static thrust to max cruise, by doing something about this.

I drew up a few strut cuffs, and have them on the way from Xometry to try out. I've also ordered a split female mold to produce more of them, still ending up with a fairing shell that fits over the strut-end and bolt head. There's about 10 such short struts on the plane, all ranging from 20-30 inches.

That got me thinking: why not mold the cuff as a solid structural piece, using the increased areas of the cuff as reinforcement/hardpoint for the countersunk mounting bolt, then drill the cuff to receive the cut-off strut tube, and rivet/glue it in place?

Riveting/gluing the strut tube into the cuff was a little distasteful, so that got me thinking: why not mold the entire aero strut and the cuffs at both ends all as once piece? I've never seen a one-piece fiberglass strut/cuffs assembly bolted onto a plane, so there must be some substantial drawbacks. Here's the layup idea, any thoughts or criticisms?

1) 6 part split female mold, probably two halves for the cuff at each end, and two halves for the length of the strut.
2) Pack the halves with flox and uni, assume the flox is good enough as a hardpoint in each end for a bolt.
3) Clamp
4) Cure
5) Destructively test
6) Repeat

Maybe also experiment with placing a small rod or strip of foam in the middle of the UNI layup in the strut shaft if the piece ends up excessively heavy.

Thoughts or advice?

Back