Thomas Morse S-4C Scout

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by wiloows5050, May 17, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 17, 2010 #1

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Even thought I already have a couple of projects going, I couldn't wait to start this one. I have begun cutting the main wing center section ribs. I'm using templetes that were cut out of using Cad. It is taking me about an hour per rib. My biggest problem it the heat that the router is generating it is leaving marks on the templates. template.jpg

Template blocked in.jpg

Outside routiered.jpg

inside routier.jpg

Completed rib.JPG

Joe Fisher, Aerowerx and FritzW like this.
  2. Jul 19, 2010 #2

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

I've started making the leading edge pieces and the compression ribs. Both request lots of clamps as the blocking doesn't work well for the leading edge and the compression rib can't have the holes that would be left behind. Pictures to follow. I've also run out of wood for this project so it's time to visit Aircraft Spruce.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  3. Jan 16, 2011 #3

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

I've started working on the main wing root ribs. These ribs are extremely long as you can see by the photo of the rib leaning on th freezer. I've trimmed all but the back and started routing the shape using the templates.
    Com rib nose.jpg Comp rib wood.jpg
    Comp rib trimmed.jpg

Joe Fisher and Aerowerx like this.
  4. Jan 23, 2011 #4

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

It took almost two week of trying to find the right shape for the last eight inch of the rib. It's amazing what you can do when the brain is engaged! Couldn't get it right because I forgot to subtract the height of the cap strips. It the longest one piece rib I'll every build. It's over 4 feet in length.

Root rib main.jpg

5. Jul 29, 2011 #5

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

I've been away from projects for a while. I've cut the wing tip ribs, only need to cut the holes in the center. Working on both trailing edge and leading edge pieces as well. Pictures to follow soon.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  6. Sep 14, 2013 #6

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

After two years I have dusted off this project. The templetes for the nose ribs isn't working well. I've decided to cut blocks to clamp the nose ribe so they won't split. I'll post pictures as soon as they are complete. I'll need to make four different sets clamp blocks, two for the top and two for the bottom.

Joe Fisher and Topaz like this.
  7. Sep 19, 2013 #7

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

The nose rib blocks are going to be perfect. I found that they don't work the same on spruce vs plywood. They originally where clamped use wing nuts. When the router blades cut into the grain vs along the spruce is spliting. Going to use wood screws so I can flip the ribs and cut both side going the same direction. Pics to follow.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2013 #8

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

While I taking inventory of the complete wing parts I realized that the aileron ribs required 1/16 doublers on both sides. I try and finish parts before storing them. I have the center aileron ribs done for one side. The innner most rib is the same profile just solid. I'll have to layout the tip rib as it is narrower than the rest. Still working on the new clamps for the nose ribs. First attempt splintered the spruce. I know what I have to do to fix the problem just need shop time. The first picture is of the first side being glued, not worried about the excess plywood, as you can see in the second picture. I've trimmed the excess off with a flush bit in the routier. the last picture are the ribs with the other side being glued.
    P1070940.jpg P1070941.jpg P1070942.jpg

9. Oct 1, 2013 #9

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Managed to figure out how to make my trailing edge templete work. It is amazing how simple it was, cut one side and the end. Then put the templete on the other side of the rib, line up the cut side and it worked great. Cut three ribs in about 30 min. Wish I had though of it about three years ago.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  10. Oct 27, 2013 #10

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Finally figured out how to get through these ribs quickly. Instead of one every day I got four ribs cut in an hour. Should have all the center ribs for the main wing done by the end of the weekend.

P1070945.jpg

Rib blanks marked for trimming.

P1070943.jpg
    Ribs at verious stages of completion.

P1070944.jpg

Completed ribs for wing, solid are compression rib, then regular ribs and the last is the wing tip ribs. Once this is done, on to the T/E ribs and the L/E ribs, I'll still need to start on the sheet metal work. I'll have to make a bit to cut the the spars when the time comes.

11. Oct 30, 2013 #11

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Upper wing center secrtion ribs are done! It took hours to cut the holes to lighten up the ribs. So in conclusion the second half of the ribs took about 10% of the time the first half took. Going to try and finish up the trailing edge ribs if the wood doesn't run out. I've used almost 50 lineal feet of spruce in the last two weeks. If I run out of wood it will be the first time I've run out of material for a project.
    Going to try and talk to someone I know who has a pair of bits that he made to cut the spars. I'm hoping to convince him to let me use them, otherewise I'll have to try and make my own. Pictures to follow, hopefully tomrrow.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  12. Nov 1, 2013 #12

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Finished cutting up all the T/E ribs except the tip T/E rib. I still need to cut the holes in the last 5 ribs tonight. I have run out of wood so I'll have to wait till my next ACS run. The scrap pieces are big enough to cut L/E ribs for the lower wing.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  13. Nov 24, 2013 #13

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

tjIMAG0249.jpg
    Had my daughter cut out the center holes in the T/E ribs, she did a great job. I then proceed to break two! Not enought wood to finish so have to wait for the next ACC run. Making the L/E out of the scrap as they don't require much wood.

Joe Fisher and spduffee like this.
  14. Dec 31, 2013 #14

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

I've managed to find enough scrap around the shop to remake one of the upper wing T/E ribs I broke. There were enough pieces to cut 10 L/E robs for the lower wing. Solved the issue with the templete. I cut the center out of one of the broken pieces then a couple of wood screw. Sometimes I feel like I'm not even smart enough to reinvent the wheel. Works perfect unlike the blocks. Pics next time

Joe Fisher likes this.
  15. Apr 5, 2014 #15

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

P1070947.jpg
    Finally Got Wood! Ordered 48' feet of 3/16 spruce, 4 12' pieces. First picture is the wood marked to be cut.

P1070948.jpg
    In this picture the blanks are to marked for rough trimming.

P1070949.jpg

All the blanks are marked for rough trimming and will be trimmed one at a time. Not worried about the time it will take, just want to waste if I make a mistake.

P1070950.jpg

The frist blank is finished cut on the outside. I'll drill and trim the inside holes all at the same time when I'm done.

Aerowerx, bmcj, Autodidact and 3 others like this.
  16. Apr 10, 2014 #16

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Here's a photo of the steps I use to construct the ribs.

P1070951.JPG

The top is the rough stock
    Second from top is the cut blank with the rib marked
    The middle is the rough trimmed rib
    Second from the bottom is the rib with holes drilled for the scroll saw and the outside complete
    Bottom one is the finished rib with the inside cut out then the holes routiered so they are smooth and the same.

I only get about 3hrs a week to work on this project and it takes about an hour to make a finished rib. Part of that time is do to the stopping and starting, since I only get about one hour of work done before the honey do'*****.

17. Sep 27, 2014 #17

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

After a long summer of being gone and some work on the lower wing ribs I've started back with some drive. First up was tackling the lower root rib. This rib has a drawing but there isn't enough information to be 100% accurate. My first attempt was a failure as I made it a 1/4" to short. Using it as a guide I was able to copy it as far as the rear spar. Thinking that all I needed was to add a 1/4 I lay it out and went back to the plans.
    PICT0022.JPG The T/E is supposed to be one inch at the end of the ribs.

Copy of PICT0029.JPG As the cap strip is suppose to end at the T/E, that would make the rear of the wing rib 3/4" and not 1" which is what I had done (1") on the upper wing. On the wings the numbers include the height of the capstrip.

PICT0007.JPG I have the first attempt in the back ground
    PICT0011.JPG Trimming of the extra wood some I can route the pair.

PICT0012.JPG The last one is cut to length and routed to shape

PICT0013.JPG Both ribs clamped totogether to make sure that they are identical.

PICT0014.JPG After using a palm routier I'm completely covered in sawdust.

PICT0017.JPG This picture shows both the upper and lower root ribs complete except spar hole which will be cut on assembly. Now I can get back to work on the lower wing parts.

18. Feb 3, 2015 #18

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

My fall/winter was spent on the road. Trying to build when you are only home one or two days and being tired was a disaster. I broke a lot of the parts I was working on and needed more wood. After four attempts I've finished the T/E ribsfor the upper wing. (in the Picture). The only T/E rib for that wing is the tip rib for the aileron. The other ribs in the picture are the lower wing riblets (L/E ribs where there is no wing rib running th chord). I'm just short a couple. I should be done with the center section ribs for the lower wing this week. Being home, not being tired and having new wood has made the progress seem very rapid. I bought from Aircraft Spruce one of their bargin bundles of spruce. I lucked out because it has all the wood I need for the vertical stab for this project. I was amazed how much usable material there is in one of those bundles. I bought it for making odd pieces and will probly have all the wood I need to finish up the tail ribs on my other project.
    PICT0009.JPG

Aerowerx, Joe Fisher and FritzW like this.
  19. Feb 4, 2015 #19

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

After making such good progress I should have known to slow down. I forgot to check my router to make sure it was set properly. I took a 1/4 " deep and 3/4 " long chunk out of one of my rib templetes. I'm hoping that it will repair ok. Currently it is filled with T88 and tomorrow I'll use one of the finished ribs to redo the profile.

Aerowerx and Joe Fisher like this.
  20. Feb 5, 2015 #20

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Repairs worked, I even managed to finish up one rib. I did later that night damage another templete that is now also repaired.

Joe Fisher likes this.