Quantcast

Teman Monofly plans info.....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Topaz......you are right about the shock being transferred to the tailboom if the mains catch in a rut or pot hole but that scenario is an extreme case.
There is a fair amount of give in the tubes and the attaching bolts themselves so damage to the boom isn't very common.
The owner of the plane I flew said he had seen several other people use grade 8 bolts thinking stronger was better and then they changed back to AN bolts once they realized that a bent bolt is better than a damaged boom tube.
The plane that I flew several times was outfitted with ultralight tundra tires and with lowered air pressure it handled very nicely on the ground from our grass strip....very smooth ride actually.

Kevin

Tiger Tim

That's actually the thing I like least about the design. One really hard landing and a bunch of the forces are transmitted up into the tailboom - especially if the mains catch while the airplane is still moving forward. Not a good thing.
Maybe so, but the drag braces ahead of the gear should help mitigate that. Perhaps a hard enough landing to do that would also be hard enough to damage the tail no matter how it’s held up.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Maybe so, but the drag braces ahead of the gear should help mitigate that. Perhaps a hard enough landing to do that would also be hard enough to damage the tail no matter how it’s held up.
Or simply eliminate the rear braces altogether, and eliminate virtually all of the problem with them? YMMV, of course, but that would suit me better.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am not sure if you need Part 103 or if you and your son want to be able to log the time. If the latter, and the Monofly doesn't work out, and you can find a source of spar tubing***, (a lot of "ifs" I know) then you might introduce your son to Mike Whittaker's rugged, well-proven MW series of designs:

001283989.jpg
MW-5 Sorcerer (single-seater)

1192349-large.jpg 1013049-large.jpg
MW-6 Merlin (tandem or side-by-side two-seater)

66214_1115767331.jpg
MW-7 (aerobatic single-seat taildragger)

See http://www.mwclub.org/

***4 in x 16 swg HT30TF aluminium tube (AKA 4.0" x 0.064”/101.6mm x 1.626mm 6082T6 aluminum tube)

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
cluttonfred......we don't need part 103 for any particular reason other than I'm tired of dealing with the headaches of the FAA.
He flies my Piper Tomahawk routinely and has flown in a few ultralight/LSA aircraft.....T-Bird II,Quicksilver MXL,etc.
He prefers a pusher and their flying manners opposed to a tractor configuration.....to be honest,I like pushers too.

Kevin

addicted2climbing

Log Member
If your open to another model the Skylite plans I sell will meet part 103 and they fly quite well. In my signature are links to the plans. Plans are very well done and the aircraft has a fabric covered aluminum wing and a 4130 fuselage so lots of skills to teach your son along the way in this build. I also do my best to support and answer all builders questions so you get a bit more than building an unsupported design from free plans.

Best regards,

Marc

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
addicted2climbing......I'm almost positive that I have a set of plans that came from Ed originally.
It's nice to see the design is still going and being able to possibly buy parts for the design,once you're up and going,is a nice thought.

cluttonfred......I've always liked the Bloop and never could figure out how they could get that thing to meet the weight limit.
As far as pushers go.....the ultralight pushers just seem to fly better in my opinion,they act right....if that makes any sense.
I've flown an MXL for many years and several other pushers.... and I have flown several tractor designs....I prefer the pusher because of how they behave.
Weird,I know......

Kevin

Kevin Teman

Well, "opinion" doesn't feed the lawyers. (Actually it does. After they sue you for copyright infringement!:))

The moderators here on HBA are somewhat strict about posting copyrighted material. Just because the company, or the individual, is no longer alive does not mean that the copyright is no longer valid. Copyright protection here in the USA extends several decades after the death of the original copyright owner.

Now, if you can contact the heirs and ask if the design was released, or could be released, to the public domain, then that would be a different situation.

However, here in the USA you are allowed to make copies of copyrighted material for "research use", so long as you do not redistribute it under your own name, and reference the original source as part of your own use.

If you go back and look at some of my old posts, you will see that I occasionally posted "snips" of copyrighted material (like plans) in order to ask a question or make a point about something. But I do not provide enough for someone to replicate the entire plan set.

Anyone know if Teman is still alive, by the way?

[Edit]Just took a careful look at what I have.

It is two magazine articles, a brochure, build instructions, and a complete set of plans. A rather poor scan copy of each. The plans themselves are copyright 1980, I think (hard to read). And the articles, by virtue of being in a magazine would have their own copyright date.

Hello, I am Robert Teman's son, Kevin Teman. Yes, my dad is definitely still alive and doing well. He would be really proud to hear people talking about his airplane, and I'll be letting him know soon. I am personally very proud of him. My dad went on to have a great and long life of lots of interesting engineering jobs and being well-respected in his field. That said, if you'd like to chat with him - I can ask him if he could set up a time. He certainly has a huge amount of passion for engineering in general, as I do.

Kevin Teman
Founder of AIMM - The Talking Artificially Intelligent Matchmaker

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Kevin......thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the interest that individuals still have for your father's design.
I'm sure many members on this forum would welcome the opportunity to communicate with your father and gain from his knowledge.
There are many great aircraft designs out there that it seems the original designer moved on for one reason or another and left everyone wanting more, as the old saying goes.
If your father would like to participate on this forum I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by many.

Kevin

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Just got a set from Russia on a disc. complete! They donate a porton of the proceeds to The EAA. Found it on www.buildandfly.store.
I've been curious about all of the plan sets that I have seen on eBay and others that are from Russian Federation and elsewhere. Are plan sets complete and contain all the original information necessary? How did they acquire all of those design plans? There are a few designs I am interested in but what are the legal issues when someone builds from these plans when there is a current, Legal distributor of said plans? I definitely would not want to buy a set to save a few dollars and deny the actual distributor their due profit.

Sorry for derailing the discussion......perhaps my concerns need to be addressed elsewhere. Anyway, build on and looking forward to your success.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not sure why someone would jump on ebay and pay for plans that have been on the net for free download for many years......
But to each their own.....

Kevin

Vince Castellano

Didn't break the bank! Got The build plans, rib template drawing, materials specs, explanation and steps in building and an additional 750 pages of design, aeronautical engineering principals and math of how to design an aircraft.