Quantcast

Teman Monofly plans info.....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I've been looking for a set of Teman Monofly plans but haven't had any luck....
Does anyone has a set or know where I can get a set ?

Kevin

Aerowerx

I have a set of plans, but I am not sure where I got them.

Check the Cfair group on Yahoo......Just looked myself. They are not there. Since the source may be of questionable legality, I am hesitant to pass them on the others. The only thing I can suggest is, keep looking. The date on my file is 18 Jan 2014, if you want to try one of those web archive services.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I'm not having much luck so far,every link is broken and every website is shut down.
The only set I have found so far is an ebay seller from Moscow Russia that wants $50.......I'm extremely hesitant about that so it's not going to happen.

I tend to have a different viewpoint pertaining to plans.....
If the company is defunct and the designer isn't interested in providing plans anymore......then those plans are cosidered "open source" in my opinion.
I have 30-35 sets of plans from defunct companies and/or deceased designers and I have no problem sharing those plans with people that want/need them.
Who is going to care ? The company and /or designer is out of the game.
But that's just me......

Kevin

Aerowerx

...I tend to have a different viewpoint pertaining to plans.....
If the company is defunct and the designer isn't interested in providing plans anymore......then those plans are cosidered "open source" in my opinion....
Well, "opinion" doesn't feed the lawyers. (Actually it does. After they sue you for copyright infringement!:))

The moderators here on HBA are somewhat strict about posting copyrighted material. Just because the company, or the individual, is no longer alive does not mean that the copyright is no longer valid. Copyright protection here in the USA extends several decades after the death of the original copyright owner.

Now, if you can contact the heirs and ask if the design was released, or could be released, to the public domain, then that would be a different situation.

However, here in the USA you are allowed to make copies of copyrighted material for "research use", so long as you do not redistribute it under your own name, and reference the original source as part of your own use.

If you go back and look at some of my old posts, you will see that I occasionally posted "snips" of copyrighted material (like plans) in order to ask a question or make a point about something. But I do not provide enough for someone to replicate the entire plan set.

Anyone know if Teman is still alive, by the way?

[Edit]Just took a careful look at what I have.

It is two magazine articles, a brochure, build instructions, and a complete set of plans. A rather poor scan copy of each. The plans themselves are copyright 1980, I think (hard to read). And the articles, by virtue of being in a magazine would have their own copyright date.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I understand your viewpoint on the subject.....
But evidently there's not much heartburn or threat of being pulled into court over theses plans.
I've had them before but lost them due to a computer issue...they were downloaded for free a long time ago.
Years ago,that particular set of plans was all over the net and I'm sure plenty of copies found there way onto hard drives.
Scott from the now closed VULA website use to sell them,a Russian guy on ebay is offering them for $50 now......etc.
They're not a guarded secret...........

Guess I better lawyer up first thing tomorrow morning......since I just sent out 7 sets of plans to 2 different individuals earlier today.......

Kevin

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Well, "opinion" doesn't feed the lawyers. (Actually it does. After they sue you for copyright infringement!:))

The moderators here on HBA are somewhat strict about posting copyrighted material. ...
Yes, we do. Why? Because the person who would get slapped with the lawsuit in the case infringing material were posted and someone did come after it isn't me. It isn't one of the other moderators. It isn't even the person who posted the material or link to protected material. The lawsuit would land on Jake, the site-owner of HBA. The courts and the lawyers are "funny" that way. If Jake gets sued, we probably lose HBA altogether since, except for the amounts donated by some very wonderful members through the "Contribute" button at the top of the page, Jake funds this site out of his own pocket.

So yeah, we're rather fussy and protective about potential copyright and intellectual property infringement here, and we err on the side of caution.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Topaz...... I truly understand your viewpoint,agree with it and feel the same way.
However,I never asked for anyone to post plans to this Forum so I just wanted to make sure we all understand that point.
I asked if someone had a set that I could obtain....as in obtain privately through email or the postal service....etc.
As the old saying goes......"what 2 consenting adults do in private".....etc.
Members on this Forum tend to assume things and change the context of a message, for some unknown reason,and then things get blown out of proportion.
I am simply searching for a set of plans,that I lost due to a computer issue,that have been freely circulated on the internet for the past 15 years......nothing more.
So at this point,I'm a little confused how a simple request got turned into breaking Forum rules and talk of lawyers.
And please understand that I'm not being snippy with this message because I'm actually shaking my head in disbelief and laughing as I type this.

Kevin

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Topaz...... I truly understand your viewpoint,agree with it and feel the same way....
Sorry, Kevin, I wasn't referring to you at all. It'd just been a while since HBA's stance on copyright/intellectual property had been stated openly, including the rationale behind it. This is a good thing - we very rarely have the need to invoke it. As such, when someone mentioned it here in this thread, it seemed like a good opportunity to lay it out once more.

You're fine. I should've made it more clear what I was doing.

Aerowerx

...and I was just pointing out that I had a set of plans that I got off the internet.

Since I don't remember where I got them, I was not going to pass them on.

I've had them for 5 years. Maybe the are not out there anymore, as you know the internet has changed since i started typing this.

dew777

Maybe the are not out there anymore, as you know the internet has changed since i started typing this.
The entire PDF set is still out there on the internet. . . it looks like a "scan" so not really crisp but still readable.

Tiger Tim

I had to look up what a Teman Mono-Fly was:

While it’s not winning any beauty contests it seems like it might be a clever little thing. I like how the landing gear is used to beef up the tail boom, the all-flying high aspect ratio tail feathers, and I see the wings have a single strut and proper looking airfoil. Anyone know what they fly like?

Aerowerx

Quite well, thank you!

Seriously, as I have read...

It doesn't actually stall, but will mush along at about 20 mph. Top speed is 50. Airfoil is a NACA 6317.

Wings fold, and can be set up in under 15 minutes (with an assistant to hold the wings while inserting bolts).

It has full 3 axis controls, evidently quite revolutionary for the time period for an ultralight, from the comments in the articles.

Controls can feel quite stiff due to using Teleflex-like cables. Throttle is on the right, and it has a yoke instead of a stick, so it is supposed to be an easy transition for a c150 pilot (for example).

A couple of strange/odd things i noticed from the plans. The nose wheel brake is a pad that drags on the ground when applied. The control joke and nose gear pivot are built up out of layers of glass and epoxy.

Actually, I think is is quite cute, and an easy candidate for the "21st century" Voklsplane or updated Affordaplane. Seems like everyone is reinventing the wheel, when we have had one for over 30 years!.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I flew one,quite a bit, years ago and I can tell you that they fly as well as any Quicksilver,CGS Hawk ,T-Bird....etc.
They are stressed to 10 G's - & +.......they are beasts !!!
Unfortunately,the gentleman that had the Monofly got orders and shipped out...selling the plane before he left....I never knew where it wound up.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not that it matters,but.............
I am currently building a Ragwing Stork and my son helps me when he has time.
He expressed an interest in building a plane of his own if I would help him with the work and of course the finances.
I agreed to this,provided he picked a plane within reason....he picked the Monofly.....the one design that I lost the plans to when my computer melted down.

Now here's the part that's interesting ......my son is 10......and he's willing to turn off the xbox to build a plane that he can fly in a few years.

So yeah.....I'm kinda on a mission to find those plans again....lol

If it helps......I have MANY sets of,pdf file,plans that I would trade for a copy of the Monofly....

Kevin

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... I like how the landing gear is used to beef up the tail boom, ...
That's actually the thing I like least about the design. One really hard landing and a bunch of the forces are transmitted up into the tailboom - especially if the mains catch while the airplane is still moving forward. Not a good thing.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
The plans are still out there,floating on the net,for free......I just downloaded them.
Thanks for the point in the right direction dew777...... I owe you one.

Kevin